Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowfishing surprise
I haven't been out bowfishing in a while, but my brother-in-law goes a few times a week. The only problem with that is he is 1300 miles away in Willard, MO. I went out with him last month when we were out there. But we didn't run into anything like this. Needless to say, this fish smokes the Utah State Record carp taken by archer. 45.8 pounds.

[inline "Eric 45.8 lb carp.jpg"]
[signature]
Holy Crap! er...Carp! Seems like you'd need a harpoon for that guy! What species is that? do they take them in the shallows or out in the clear water?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a genuine tank.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But not as big as this "bighead carp"...an invasive species...shot in Illinois. Weighed over 92 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline monster_bighead_2.jpg]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad they don't get that big in Utah Lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Not exactly which species of carp it is, but yeah it is big. Shooting them out there varies. They shoot a lot of gar in the deeper water, but the gar are sitting on top. Most of the carp and suckers are shot closer to the shore in around 4 feet of water or so. And they do all of the bowfishing at night on the lakes. The water is so clear - all you do is set up some lights on your boat, and you are in business.
[signature]
I have seen that pic. That is one massive fish. I can't imagine what the fight would have been like.

And check this out. Quite the experience. Don't know if I would have been brave enough to shoot it.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/3393...gator+gar/
[signature]
Now that's a monster.
[signature]
Looks like the buffalo fish which I think is related to the sucker, and not the carp. Here's another pic of one.

[Image: th?id=I5002172927311945&pid=1.7&...7&rs=1]
[signature]
That looks like a Grass carp to me. They are introduced into alot of irrigation systems to control vegetation that blocks the water ways.

They are sterilized before release. They are Illegal to take in some places.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/im...grass+carp
[signature]
This is a grass carp. Missouri has buffalo fish, but not where he lives.
[signature]