Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you fish this fly?
Ive been tying for a few years now, gotten good enough to tie almost all of the nymphs/streamers that I fish but dries have troubled me. I all but given up because I wasnt getting a fly that passed my "standards". Ive started trying to tie them again and heres my first go at an Elk Hair. Size 16

Thoughts? anything wrong you can see? For some reason the hackle didnt Palmer the way I wanted. And im not sure what that little gap in the hackles is from.

[Image: IMG_1269.jpg]
[signature]
Looks good to me. Elk hair is hollow and because of that it is more brittle.
I know specially with deer hair, if the base/root of the hair is crinkly, it will flare beautifully. If the hair is nice and straight, it will not.
Another tough one is Caribou for Goddard Caddis.
[signature]
Better than my tie and I catch fish on mine so I woudl say you are good to go.

[#ff0000][size 2]users are not allowed to have links of any kind in a post or signature unless you pay for advertisement... please remove the link to your blog from your signature.. if you would like to advertise on the sight please go to firstlight.net for information..[/size][/#ff0000]
I'd fish it. Don't worry about some little space between your hackle. Once you cast and fish it, the hackle will be plenty even. I might use a slightly shorter hackle myself, but that's me.
[signature]
Yea hackle is too big but I cant afford a nice neck or half neck so I go buy the little packs that are pre-sized and guaranteed to tie like 100 flys. The pack I got says size 14-16 but they all look like 14
[signature]