Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 days till Idaho Falls and my orvis clearwater reel takes a poop.
well ill be in Idaho Falls on friday and ill be there till the 23rd. i just got my 6 wt out because i plan on spending close to every day on the southfork of the snake and the drag on my reel decided it didn't need to work anymore. took it apart and tried to see whats wrong with it and its something internal that i cant get to. so now i need to buy a new reel when i get to idaho falls. im not to surprised though it was a lower end orvis reel any ways and i have beat the thing in to the dirt with as much as i use to fly fish when i lived there. If anyone in idaho falls has a nice fly reel they wanna sale me for a 6wt that would be awesome. otherwise im just gonna have to shell out the dough for a new reel at jimmy's and we all know that that bill wont be pretty.

ps. if anyone wants to hook up and throw fly's on the southfork get at me.
[signature]
just pick up an okuma slv from sportsmans. it is not expensive and IMO much better than the clearwater. or Jimmys would probably have a lamson konic. If you get that, you shouldnt need a new reel the rest of your life
[signature]
yeah if im gonna buy a new one its gonna be a good one. i ws looking at the echo line also they have awesome reviews.
[signature]
the echos seem to have good reviews like you said. I couldnt tell you anythign about them. I havent ever looked at one. But the 3 I have it narrowed down to buy as replacements in the next few months are the lamson konic, the ross flyrise and the trout reel from allen (which they are running an awesome deal on currently)
[signature]
I'll be out of town otherwise I would have taken you up on it! I've fished it twice/week over the last 3 weeks and we've caught a LOT of fish! Banks haven't produced like they should have and top water action has been hit/miss. But....the key was finding a good riffle (preferably one that isn't poking out of the water all the way) and anchoring there. We fished a dry with a dropper...having the correct dropper was the key and those fish would NOT even cause the top fly to sink. You will see the fish flash underneath the top fly and you just have to set the line-crazy fun! lot's of beautiful cuts, rainbows, hybrids and the occasional brown. Good luck!
[signature]
Call Ovis and have them fix it. Should be lifetime guarantee. I know it doesn't help your situation now, but send it in anyway. As for now, my nephew gave me an Echo Ion 6w reel for a b-day present, seems to be a decent reel for the money. Might wat to think about that. Ad if you had time, I'd recommend an Allen fly reel.

There's a pharmacy off Hitte, just north of the hospital that my nephew got the Echo. Can't remember it's name though. Very good prices.
[signature]
x2 the recommend on the Allen fly reel...their trout reels are on clearance right now so best time to get one. I have the trout size 2 (5/7 wt) and its a great reel and the drag on it is nice, held up to a 23" rainbow I caught a few weeks ago that put up a decent fight
[signature]
Not reel advice but Sf advice. Been on it 6 times since last Sunday. Like was said top has been hit n miss. Where its on a x-caddis has been the ticket. Some awesome dun hatches right before dark the last two nights. But my top producer has been swinging an old horse hair fly, The bigger the better. Landed over 15 in an hour n a half on it Saturday night. Fish are already getting very selective on the Drys due to a lot of fishing pres. Good luck. We may head up again tomorrow night after work and ill update with what things are doing if we do.
[signature]
[quote fireman12]x2 the recommend on the Allen fly reel...their trout reels are on clearance right now so best time to get one. I have the trout size 2 (5/7 wt) and its a great reel and the drag on it is nice, held up to a 23" rainbow I caught a few weeks ago that put up a decent fight[/quote]

I landed this with the Trout 5/6
[Image: IMG_4264.jpg]
(And looked good doing it...LOL)
I do have the Echo as well.
[Image: 100_0014.jpg]
If time is an issue, as Mojo said, check the Rx upon Hitt road for an Echo. If you order and Allen, mention Joni "fly goddess" sent ya[Wink]
[signature]