Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanical VS. Fixed
I recently decided to make the switch from 125 gr. broadheads to 100gr... Being that there is such a wide variety to choose from, I thought this would be the ideal time to ask for opinions and preferences, pro's and con's. etc. I currently shoot the G5 in 125gr. Any info is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I personally am a big fan of mechanicals. I've shot them for years, and taken many animals with them. I had a bad experience with a fixed blade "flying" on me once, and I swore I'd never shot them again. BTW my bow was tuned, and I had even shot a couple of them with no problems. I've used and really like the SBP (now Swhacker) broadheads. They are a great design that is open after impact, however they do leave a 1" entry hole, so no complaints about a poor blood trail with the other open after impact heads. Once big advantage is that the cutting blades are not open until right after they enter the body, which saves blades to cut the soft squishy stuff in the middle that you want to destroy. They are 2 blades, which to some people is a gripe that say they can slip by a major vessel and not cut it, while others a benefit when slipping between ribs, instead of cutting them on initial impact. I was of the later view. The last 2 years I have been shooting Epek's, which are very devastating. They are a 3 bladed head, that open on impact, but deploy in a unique fashion. I've killed one deer, and my wife one deer with them. They leave a very mean blood trail, and put animals down quickly! I'm sold on the design. I have a picture of the exit wound, which is the same size on the entrance side if you want to PM me your cell number, I'll text it to you.

As always, shot placement is critical, but I'm sold on the mechanicals, and I sure ain't switchin' back.
[signature]
Unlike the other response, I would never used mechancals. I never have used them, but I have several friends here and in Michigan who have had nothing but bad luck with several different mechanical brands including NAP (New Archery Products), Cabelas, and G5's. Yes they might fly a bit better under some conditions, but its all about cutting and penetration. I ONLY use fixed blades just for that reason. Personally I like Bear Razorhead 125's but I do NOT install the little bleeder blade. Therefore they weigh about 115-117grains. Bear also makes a 100grain fixed blade so that may work for you. I like the leading cutting tip of the Bear's and Magnus ones the best. I shoot both of them. If you practice with the same heads you will hunt with, you can tune them to fly just like a practice tip. I've shot an antelope in WY at 50 yards and the fixed tip flew perfectly. My other shots/kills have only been at 5-25 yards for mulies, whitetails,and elk. Good luck in choosing since there are many broadheads out there and they all have some good & bad points (pun intended). Here's a little video link I found on line that may help you decide.
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xAhsVVihd0"]Archery Link[/url]
[signature]
This little deer took one center punch at 47 yards, complete pass through with the 100 Grain Epek. He went about 60 yards and rolled.
[inline IMG_0224.JPG]
[signature]
I would have to agree with BLFG, on the fixed blades. I like to know that if I hit an animal it will be cutting it. No worries about blades deploying in flight or not fulling opening inside the body cavity.
I use the Slick Trick Razor Trick which is a cut to the tip fixed 4 blade. They fly awesome, group with the field points, and are extreamly sharp out of the package. I killed my buck last year at 70 yards and budrried the arrow inside of him length wise. He was bedded quartering away, and I hit him in the back leg, shattering the femur, and driving forward through the front shoulder. All I got was a wrinkled blade. I can change the blade out, and be back in the game. Maybe there is a mechanical that can do that, but I doubt it.
[signature]
I personally shoot G5 Montec 100 gr. I am all for fixed blades for the reason others have stated. These shoot just like my field points, and I don't like the thought of (what if). I like the thought of knowing if I hit them, it's going to count. Also, this might be a little overboard, but I only shoot them once. Razor sharp, and after they hit an animal or the ground... they are a practice tip. Kinda expensive that way, but I just don't like to wonder what's going to happen when I hit something with them.
[signature]
Rage 100 grain 3 blade. Massive trauma and they don't go more than 40 yards with a good shot. They fly really well also. Only minus is that if you dust one they are less forgiving than the fixed. I am a fan of the 100 grain fixed thunderheads as well.
[signature]