Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Pattern Suggestions
I have been fly fishing for about 5 years now mostly in Idaho and Montana. I will be moving to American Fork in about 2 weeks and I am hoping to get into some good fishing.

What are some good pattern for the rivers/lakes around there? I am into tying but I also just got a $50 gift certificate to order flies online.
[signature]
Prince nymphs size 18-14
Caddis emergers size 16-12
Elk hair caddis size 14-12
Hairs ears size 10-14
Grasshopper any pattern size 10-6
Chenobal ant size 14-8
Hellgrammites size 16-14

Yellow humpy size 10-6
Royal wulf size 16-10

That ought to be a good start for you
[signature]
BWOs. Scuds, sow bugs, WD40s , Raindow Warrior , Zebra, Serendipity, buggers. Streamers.
[signature]
Sounds like a standard set of patterns. Should work on most bodies of water around here. American Fork river is a nice little stream and you'll find most of the fish cooperative to most dry flies.

I first throw Royal Wulf when fishing it and the nearby provo river will get hares ears and sows first.

Maybe we can have a welcome to Utah care package. We could all send you a half dozen of our favorite patterns for our favorite waters. Would that make you feel welcome? I am in just let us know on here when you're set to go fishing next because around here when you fish does determine what flies to use.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like a lot of standard patterns mixed with a few I have never fished!

OldTroller - I would love a welcome package with some favorite patterns from local waters. I am moving down to AF around the 26th of July and will hopefully be fishing soon after.

Are the hoppers out in Utah yet? I was just fishing the bighorn in Montana last week and we got a few on hoppers...I LOVE HOPPER FISHING!
[signature]
Ill pitch in as well mine arnt the greatest but they catch fish [Tongue]
[signature]
Well I have been in Utah for 2 weeks now but just getting settled in enough to consider fishing soon.

Went into cabelas today and asked about local patterns...the guy basically told me the standard flies you hear from anywhere.

I'm hoping some of you Utah veterans can let me in on the local flies...I love tying flies so let me know what I can do
[signature]
There are some lists already on this thread that will catch fish on any river or lake around here.

Ask specific questions i.e. I'm fishing the Middle Provo this Saturday what flies are best for that section. and you'll get better answers.

I can meet you somewhere and show you what mine look like and even give you a bunch to get started. Email me if that sounds cool littlekennyraddon@gmail.com
[signature]
When I moved to Utah, my boss said, "If you can't catch Utah trout on a #14 Adams, you are fishing where there are no trout."

Now that I've lived here for 26 years, I might be so bold as to add, "or a #16 bead head pheasant tail nymph."
[signature]
Me, it is a red Copper John. But them scuds![cool]
[signature]
I started using a Rainbow Warrior this summer. It is a great fly. Be sure to add some in size 18 or 20 to your box.
I like to fish with a tandem set up. I use a small streamer like an Olive Leach and drop a small Nymph about 2' behind it. This is a great way to try the Rainbow Warrior.
[signature]
[quote DKStroutfitter]I started using a Rainbow Warrior this summer. It is a great fly. Be sure to add some in size 18 or 20 to your box.
I like to fish with a tandem set up. I use a small streamer like an Olive Leach and drop a small Nymph about 2' behind it. This is a great way to try the Rainbow Warrior.[/quote]

I got to try that, thanks!
[signature]