Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new 'toon trailer
Since I have an ATV, I took a nice ATV trailer and modified it to load my pontoon. Added some marine grade plywood with glued marine carpeting and coated with varnish. Also added a new boat winch that I bought from my local kayak dealership for $15. Score!

I tried it out last weekend and it worked quite well. I like the fact that I can convert it back easily to an ATV/motorcycle trailer by just removing some screws and washers that hold down my decking.

What do you think?!

I want to get some sort of metal clip to make attaching the winch even easier. Any recommendations?
[signature]
Not sure why a winch for a pontoon, but maybe wing nuts?
[signature]
I have a disability that makes it difficult for me to lift things so the winch makes it easier for me to load/unload the pontoon. Transporting is a breeze with the trailer. It is a very well made trailer so can take the pontoon anywhere I want to go.
[signature]
Understood. Now, wing nuts, so it is easy to remove the bolts holding the winch.
You must have to back way up in the water to load & launch?
[signature]
You could bolt the winch to a peice of channel iron or cut one side of a peice of square tube so that it froms a U shape that is just wider than the post. Then drill holes through the bracket and post so that it would just take a couple of pins to hold it into place.

That way you wouldn't have to deal with threading anything on or off. Just pull a couple of pins and it's done.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Very nice! I like your work.[cool]
[signature]
[quote a_bow_nut]You could bolt the winch to a peice of channel iron or cut one side of a peice of square tube so that it froms a U shape that is just wider than the post. Then drill holes through the bracket and post so that it would just take a couple of pins to hold it into place.

That way you wouldn't have to deal with threading anything on or off. Just pull a couple of pins and it's done.[/quote]

Nice idea - I should have had you helping me on my project!
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Very nice! I like your work.[cool][/quote]

Thanks. It was a fun project to do. It took a little bit of planning to figure out the materials to use and how to attach them to the trailer.

I don't have to back up all the way so the deck of the trailer top is flush with the water. I can pull the pontoon off and on the deck with it about 2-3 inches above water level so only need to back the trailer into the water so a portion of the trailer wheels are below water. My truck wheels stay on the ramp and out of the water.

It also allows me to leave my motor and fish finder mounted along with oars and the only thing I add when the pontoon is in the water is my battery and cooler and rod.

I currently am using an automotive battery which is quite heavy. Do any of you use lighter weight 12 volts to run your trolling motors/fish finders? If so I'd love to get some battery recommendations for something lighter.
[signature]
I use a deep cycle marine battery. Also since you submerge your trailer be sure to check the bearings regularly so that they will last. I don't think your bearings on that trailer are sealed against the water. Also don't want to be stranded along a highway anywhere either.
[signature]
I was thinking that as well as, if the tail lights are not LED, be sure and unplug them before hitting the water.
So, do you have rollers at the back so you can winch your boat up?

My comment on the wing nuts, was use the same bolts you are now using, but with wing nuts you do not need a wrench to take them off.

Also, how does you frame take travel with the motor mounted?

I have a double decker trailer that we use for our 10 1/2' pontoons. We do not back in the water however, just close enough to pull the boats off the trailer and have room to walk around them.
We tried traveling with the motor mounted, but it bounces a lot and not sure the frame needs that much extra torque.

We also bought one of those inexpensive winch for out 14' boat. It didn't last two trips, hope yours is better.

Battery, deep cycle always. Some use the smaller batteries and if you use it once in awhile, golf cart batteries work. But if you use it a lot and higher speeds, the ol' weigh a ton, #27 is the one.

At any rate, you are mobile.
[signature]
Had another thought come to mind if you want the whole post and winch out of the way.

Get six peices of black iron pipe that are the same lenght and weld two of them on the post in the two spots where you want it to hook to the trailer with enough space between them for the third peice. Then weld the third peice to the trailer so that everything lines up. Then the two pins would be able to remove the entire post and winch for when you wanted to load other stuff.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote a_bow_nut]Had another thought come to mind if you want the whole post and winch out of the way.

Get six peices of black iron pipe that are the same lenght and weld two of them on the post in the two spots where you want it to hook to the trailer with enough space between them for the third peice. Then weld the third peice to the trailer so that everything lines up. Then the two pins would be able to remove the entire post and winch for when you wanted to load other stuff.[/quote]

Great idea!
[signature]
Nice double duty use of the trailer ! Was looking over all of your pics and did not see how you were lashing the toon to the trailer. Had a couple of concerns in that unlike a boat which is winched up to a stop support and locked in place to stop any front to rear or side to side shifting during transport I cant see this on your toon. My immeadiate concern would be if the toon shifted backwards just enough to put the rear of the floats against the loading ramp and raise havoc . Does the ramp disconnect without much trouble ? If not maybe a piece of wood covered with some of that nice carpet like on the deck to protect the floats ? As for securing the nose of the toon some form of bracket attached to the stanchion the winch is bolted to that might cradle the foot rest tubing or the frame between the floats near the seat ??? Just my nickles worth here cuz old Mr. Murphy likes to wait until I am off having fun to ruin my day, never gets me on the way to work .
[signature]
Thanks. So far, I have been using motorcycle locking tie downs to secure the toon. The winch also has a locking mechanism so once I bring the toon up tight, it holds it in the center.

I wrap the motorcycle lashes around the frame and then cinch down the toon. It seems to hold pretty well and is easy to release when I get to the lake.
[signature]
I use the tie downs on mine. Wrap them around the toon.

[Image: IMG_2957.jpg]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I use the tie downs on mine. Wrap them around the toon.

[.IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Boat%20Trailer%202010/IMG_2957.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Nice. Have you had any issues with the lube on the tires as raised earlier in the post? Do you back yours into the water or just unload on dry land?
[signature]
No we do not back it in the water. No need to. Plus that is a wood deck, rain is bad enough. Don't worry as much about the trailer transporting invasive species either.
The boats weigh maybe 60 lbs. Easy to slide off at waters edge.
I have been many times by myself and have done fine. And that is with a two time broken back[crazy]
[signature]
I use tie down on mine as well. They are strong and do the trick.

[inline "DSCN1372 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I use tie down on mine as well. They are strong and do the trick.

[/quote]

Until Old Troller comes along for the ride....LOL
[signature]
[/quote]

Until Old Troller comes along for the ride....LOL[/quote]

He has weight issues with his toon. Surprised that it still floats. [:p]
[signature]