Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod holder help! please read
A little about me I'm a Senior at UW Madison pursuing a degree in engineering. I'm currently working on a project for an invention competition here at school and it happens to be a new fishing rod holder. I'm finding it very hard to find marketing information and was hoping maybe you could help.

Invention: My invention is fishing rod holder which has a unique solution to jig fishing. When fishing on a boat the waves make the boat rock up and down which also makes your bait go up and down in the water which causes unnatural movement and decreased amount of fish caught. So I have come up with a pivoting design that moves inversely with the waves. So when the boat goes up the rod tip goes down and vice versa. But to make the invention appeal to a larger market I've also made it so that it can also be used in a fixed position if the user is not jig fishing and doesn't want the rod holder to pivot. Lastly, I've also made the rod holder so that you're able to use it for ice fishing and also on land.

Questions:

1. Do you think this is a good idea? Or be something you would buy? And this is not a far fetched idea I think I can come up with, I have a prototype and it is fully functional

2.How many rod holders are on your boat or the boat you use?

3. How much money would you pay for this?

If you don't want to reply to all the questions that is fine but it would be greatly appreciated if you would just say i think this is a good or bad idea any thoughts will be extremely helpful

Thank you very much I appreciate it

If you'd like to know more about the product please feel free to email me and I'd love to talk to you and get any information you'd like to provide.

jvannieuwenh@wisc.edu
[signature]
[quote jvannieuwenh]
Questions:
1. Do you think this is a good idea? Or be something you would buy? And this is not a far fetched idea I think I can come up with, I have a prototype and it is fully functional
[#ff0000]It is really hard to know if it is a good idea or not without seeing how it is different than a regular rod holder.[/#ff0000]

2.How many rod holders are on your boat or the boat you use?
[#ff0000]8 total, 4 on each side.[/#ff0000]

3. How much money would you pay for this?
[#ff0000]Again, hard to say without seeing it but $15 is the price is what I paid for each one I have.[/#ff0000]

If you don't want to reply to all the questions that is fine but it would be greatly appreciated if you would just say i think this is a good or bad idea any thoughts will be extremely helpful

Thank you very much I appreciate it

If you'd like to know more about the product please feel free to email me and I'd love to talk to you and get any information you'd like to provide.

jvannieuwenh@wisc.edu[/quote]
[signature]
good luck on your rod holders..FYI
"when there are waves the up and down motion is what gives the jig action"

The longer you fish the better your product will become

need to get a product tested?
need someone to test your product..
remember
[signature]
No I completely agree with you the "jigging" action is great and attracts most fish when the conditions are adequate. However, I know personally around here (Green Bay area) when there's over a foot/foot and half high waves the amount of fish I catch goes down and even more so when there's larger waves such as 3 foot rollers out on the bay or bigger... That's a little more then jigging i would think, unless your a person who jigs by standing up and sitting back down consistently to raise the pole 3 plus feet; so maybe I haven't been fishing "long" enough to understand that...interesting point.

Moving forward, the rod holder can be used like a normal rod holder in a "fixed" position so that it will stay in one place and perform the jigging action (that I'm assuming you were referring to.) When the conditions are exceptional this would work great and I highly suggest using this method, however, I think its safe to say that not every day provides the same conditions. But once again I might need to fish a little longer to realize that. The pivoting is an added FEATURE of the rod holder to provide a different approach when the conditions go beyond and exemplify the "jig action" your talking about. My rod holder is everything a regular rod holder is; with the two extra features.
[signature]
We should go into business making rod holders!
If we intergrate our ideas into one rod holder we should end up with a hech of a rod holder..

Heres a sneak peek of mine[Smile],this is a bicycle rod holder,if I could have a system to attach it from bike to land to boat ,I think that would be the ticket[Wink]..

[#004080]Skip to 10:50..this carp nearly takes off with my rod![/#004080]
[signature]
Yeah i must have to fish a lot longer to understand your ideas. I mean heck since you raise your rod three feet to jig you should probably figure out a way to make it do that too. I bet you can find that on youtube too.
[signature]