Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07/17 07/18 Snake River Sturgeon

Got out to do some sturgeon fishing today and yesterday... didn't really expect much due to the heat... I'm sure glad I went though. Today started rough- I hooked what felt like a real big fish, but he decided to be smart and hide behind a boulder and cut my leader off on a rock... I could feel the line rubbing on it and just felt helpless, then pop! I still had my weight and my swivel, and about 6" of my 18" leader. Dang! I got my 2nd pole out and before I could bait up my light pole for bass/whatever I got hit again. This time, I had a massive mistake where I had a back lash previously that wasn't addressed. So... as line is singing out of the reel, it stops suddently, and I notice that my line was knotted in the spool. Great... panicked for about 5 seconds before the line just popped. Thankfully, it broke at my leader, so that fish doesn't have a crap ton of line hanging out of its face.

Got pretty bummed out... thinking I wasn't going to catch anything else.

Yesterday, I was by myself, ended up catching 3. Kinda hard to take pictures by yourself w/ a pole and a fish, this is the best I could manage. The rest were just pictures of my arm and half the fish haha!
[Image: 0718sturg.jpg]

Today, I went with my buddy- we caught ol' stubby after the earlier SNAFU. I've caught this dude a total of 3 times so far this year, and I know another guy (fishin4days) that's caught him a few times as well. He's still healthy and a good fighter, as much as he can be without the bottom fin on his tail.

[Image: 0718sturg1.jpg]
After stubbs, we caught the good ol' typical big snake river sturg. 6' and fat. Good fight, good girth. Pulled a 2/0 circle hook with 20lb test out of his mouth... come on, really? Then I pulled about 3 yards of line from his butt and carefully removed a swivel that was tied to it. Probably won't tell the wife that one... haha!
[Image: 0718sturg2.jpg]

And... I'll just let the picture do the talking. I was mostly a catfish guy, but over the last 2 years, I think I'm a full on sturgeon fanatic now.
[Image: 0718sturg3.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome report Nick! I too am becoming a Sturgeon fanatic...they definately seem more picky over here in the Treasure Valley though. I went a couple weeks ago and broke a pole....then I also had a pole that was an OLD antique that I replaced the handle on...went to cast a really hard cast and the whole dang pole flew off the handle and into the abyss...made me sooooo Angry I had to sit down a while...thinking of getting a snorkel and fins and diving for it and the 50 lbs of lead that is no dount laying in that hole....ugh...Love the fight though!
[signature]
Great pics! That last one is a giant!
[signature]
wow nice sturgeon..
[signature]
Nice fish. That looks like a lot of fun.
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun. Ron
[signature]