Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-25-03 (report)
Fished strawberry today with Kentofnsl and Senkonate from 7:30-4:30. It was windy from the very start and never did let up plus it was cold all day and probably never got much over 32 deprees. Started out trying to jigg but it was tough with the wind blowing as hard as it was but I did catch 4 while jigging one 23" another 22" and a couple 19". Then we decide to troll and had steady action all day. Total fish caught was around 30-35 fish. Senkonate will post pictures.
[signature]
Sounds like a good time. I was gonna go do some shore fishin' over at Chicken Creek East (like someone on the board said was hot the other day) but unfortunately @ about 4:00 a.m. I got a little of the "fifty yard dash to the toilet, by willy make-it or betty don't," which kind of put me out of commission[mad]. So, that sucked. The day didn't completely suck though, I got to see the Utes lose and Cougars win (that order doesn't happen much this year). Lookin' forward to seeing those pix, fellas!
[signature]
Thanks for the report MGB, although it was cold it sounds like you guys did good. WH2
[signature]
Sounds like the fishin was good! but with the wind and all I bet you seen alot of DUCKS?? I went there last monday hoping for the regular Berry wind to kick up the ducks but it was calm all day[Tongue] and that made it bad for the duck hunt but I did end up catching one nice keeper Cut[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, MGB.

That about summed it up. Lots of trolling action on rainbow rapalas and worms, and at varied speeds (mostly on the faster side)

Kent was a great host as usual, and spent a lot of time making sure the motor was working to keep us up. Thanks, Kent!

A great trip.

Senkonate
[signature]
Never got over 32 degrees???? Man, I was hunting in the highest part of strawberry hills, and in the Daniels canyon area as well. I was very warm, even with just a long sleeved t shirt in the late morning. At first when I arrive in the pre-dawn morning, it was feeling very nippy, and had my handwarmers in my Carhartt jumpers, and then my huge hunter orange backpack with a camelbak water thangy keeping me hydrated as I footed it in the hills... Are you sure it didn't get above 32 degrees???? Cuz I was sweating and shedding my carhartts, and my hat that covers my ears. It felt like maybe 55 degrees yesterday at noon.
[signature]
Nice fish and report . I almost went there but thought it would be windy so I opted out for Pineview . I'll make it up there before the water gets hard for sure .
[signature]
Weather page shows it got to 44 degrees yesterday and didn't get below 35 degrees . But being on the water makes it feel cold .
[signature]
glassyeyedPaul,

When I posted "it never got much over 32 degrees" I'm guessing around 35 degrees but I am not sure what the temperatures where. I do know my candy bars where frozen. I don't think it was even close to 55 degrees. Keep in mind we are in a boat and not moving around and the wind puts a little extra chill on us. It could of felt like 55 degrees to you if you where doing any hiking. And since I never seen any ice on the boat ramps it did stay above 32 degrees.
[signature]
Speaking of ice, I was on Mud Creek mountian trail and noticed the pools of water by mud creek were frozen over. So it was definitely cold at night. But how cold? If it was frozen then it probably dropped below 32 degrees.[shocked]
[signature]
It was one interesting day. First off the electric starter on the main outboard would spin just great, but wouldn't engage the outboard. Then I had to clean the fouled plugs while on the water (Petty4life, sorry I didn't even know that I could do that while on the water!) on the trolling motor twice (really strange because I can typically troll about three days before they need to be cleaned). Then I snapped my downrigger rod, while breaking the rubber band band to release the line! My drag wouldn't tighten on my almost new reel. I discovered that somehow recently I had snapped the handle off of my new fishing rod. Then to add insult to injury, I wasn't catching anything -- heck I wasn't even getting a bite. When I finally caught one I got a standing ovation from MGB and Senkonate! After I got the first one then I came on strong for the rest of the day, but it was too late then to have any hope of catching up. MGB underestimated the number of fish we caught by over 10. He alone caught at least 20 (that guy could catch fish in his bath tub!). Then of course at the end of the day one of the turn signals wouldn't work on the boat trailer. Great company, fun day, but expensive in the repair department.

PS -- it felt about mid 40 to me, but I had a hard time judging, because I was wearing my ice fishing insulated coveralls (they kept me warm and toasty all day long).
[signature]