Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcaster Advice
Tardis - the following is only my opinion and how I learned and may only apply to me so...
1. Versatility - Typically baitcast rods come in more actions and powers, so more versatility for crankbaits, plastics, spinnerbaits, topwater, jigs, etc. However, spinning rods have come a long way too, but I still prefer casting gear to spinning, even finesse situations.
2. Retrieve - It easier, at least to me, to retrieve large crank baits and heavy spinnerbaits on casting tackle than spinning.
3. Control - it is easier to control your cast with casting gear. Simply apply more thumb pressure to the spool to control distance or entry into the water. Nothing worse than flipping jigs to spooky fish and have your jig slap the water and spook everything around.

Learning - I would get one of your buddies older reels he doesn't use any more and spool up some old 12 LB test. Heavier test line does not nest up as easily and is easier to pull out if it does. Only fill the spool half and make sure the tension knobs are on the tightest setting to start. Depending on the brand of reel you will have a knob under the star drag and maybe another on the opposite side of the reel. Now practice by flipping and pitching to trees or mailbox posts in your yard. I still take an old 6' casting rod and flip an old jig with the hook cut off around the house. Drives the wife bonkers sometimes but only minimal damage[Wink].
As your confidence grows make longer casts. Try casting different weights. Start heavy, 1/2 oz, then go to 1/8 oz.

It took me a solid week of casting sinkers around the apartment complex, casting lures for real, and lots of cheap line to finally feel comfortable. Now I can cast a 1/2 spinnerbait into the wind no problem. I still get the occasional rats nest but that's part of the experience. Rather have that then wind knots on spinner gear any day. Lost a lot more line to wind knots on spinning tackle than nesting with casting gear.

Cheers

HM
[signature]