Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's an "Airplane Jig"
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I heard mentioned on this site the "airplane jig". I read one place on the Internet that it works well for mackinaw. But that is all it said ... no pics or description. Can anyone out there describe for me an "airplane jig" or point me to a Web site that describes them? Any experience with them on Bear Lake?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks,[/size][/font]
[signature]
An airplane jig is a leadhead jig that has two fins on each on each side of the jig head ,kind of like an airplane. Northland tackle makes some and you can look at them on their website. It causes the jig to glide through the water on the fall. I have never used them at Bear Lake ,but I am sure that they would work.
[signature]
It is made by Northland Tackle . I got some but no experience with them . I bought them for ice fishing .

[url "http://www.northlandtackle.com/"]http://www.northlandtackle.com/[/url]

[Image: NMagAPJ.gif]
[signature]

WOW there is enough hooks on that thing,all a fish has to do is look at it and it would be hooked.
How many hooks can a lure have?
[signature]
I have a few airplane jigs but they only have 1 hook. I guess it depends on the size.

Cableguy
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]All,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks for the info. I sure see how it gets it's name.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I always take off those flimsy little trebles on the wings. They work well for macks in the larger sizes with a large dead minnnow or small sucker hooked on the big hook with the treble trailer buried in the body. They have a nice circular gliding action that falls fairly slowly. I've never caught any big fish on them but I know some folks do.
[signature]
I read in an "expert's" guide to ice fishing that if you hook a minnow, sucker meat or anything onto an airplane jig it can impede the action. That's what "they" say. I've tried them at Fish Lake in glow-in-the-dark colors without success.
[signature]
I noticed yesterday that Angler's Inn still has some Airplane Jigs at 50% off.
[signature]
K, but the qustion is. Did you get any Kent?

What is the price on them they kinda look like a fun lure to try?
[signature]
No I didn't purchase any -- there has got to be one fishing lure that I don't own (TD please no comments about the Banjo minnows that are still holding down a shelf in my garage), and the Airplane Jig looks like a good candidate to me. Sorry, I don't recall how expensive they were.
[signature]
Hey I proudley own and even carry some banjo's everywhere I go. There a fun little lure.
[signature]
I also have a set of Banjo Minnows! I didn't get them from the infomercial, they were given to me as a gift -- off the shelf of Wal-Mart. They actually have caught their fare share of nice smallmouths at Deer Creek, and even a 4 inch largemouth from Utah Lake!
[signature]
Fish Fear Me and Cat Man, make me an offer, that I cannot refuse, for my Banjo Minnows. BTW -- I also didn't purchase mine from the infocommercial -- I purchased them from Angler's Inn, many moons ago, at a discount from the infocommercial.
[signature]
Thanks but no thanks. I don't use them very often. I found that I couldn't detect a strike unless I actually saw the fish hit the minnow, maybe that's just because I'm not that good, but basically I rarely use the ones I have now, that's why they've lasted for so many years.
[signature]
Agreed
[signature]
[cool]Okay, Kent, I will not say anything at all about the "musical minnows".

While there are legions of lures that were designed more to catch fishermen than to catch fish...and make good infomercials...some of those suckers will catch fish on certain occasions. Then again, there are those magical moments when the moon and stars are just right...and the fish are grabbing everything in sight...that any of those things will catch fish.

It is funny sometimes what can happen. A lure will be designed, packaged and promoted...and then sits on shelves or gets dumped in the closeout bin. Then, some newbie who doesn't know any better ties one on and absolutely slays the fish. Now everybody wants them and there ain't any available. Due to high demand, they go back into production, and six months later you can't give them away again.

There is a big market for antique lures. Some guys pay a small fortune for the same lures they threw away or gave to their kids many years ago. And, the strange part is that if they use them, they still catch fish. There are "NEW" lure designs submitted for patent every year that are substantially the same as lures that went out of style decades ago.

Anybody still have and use Hula Poppers? Hellbenders? Hawaiian Wigglers? Sonics? Bombers? One of my used-to-be favorites was the old Super Duper. They have lost favor to many of the new flashy trinkets, but they still knock the stuffins out of a lot of fish. They used to be part of the one-two punch with flatfish. And, flatfish are still holding their own, but I have some that were made when I was a pup...and that was a LONG time ago.

Back to the Airplane Jig...it has several attractive features, including a glide on the drop and an unusual profile that fish have not seen before. NEW is a magic word when it comes to finicky fish. When they can tell you the model number of every lure that goes by them, something new is more likely to get an exploratory munch. That is unless it is too outlandish.

Fade out...sound of music in the background "...With a Banjo Minnow on my knee."
[signature]
Today, they still had a few left at $3.89 each (50% off of $3.89 would be $1.95)
[signature]