Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rod
Im wanting to get a new light wieght rod for dry fly fishing and small streams and lakes in the uintas. I was thinking a 3 or 4 wt in 8'6" or 9'0". What do you guys think would be best I have a 6wt and a 7wt now and what fly line would you guys recommend. I already have a rod in mind that I want its a 4wt 8'6" and its on clearence at a great price so this is what im leaning towards but what to hear what you guys have to say, how much of a difference is their between a 3 and 4 wt.
[signature]
I don't find a big difference in 3 or 4. I prefer 4's. I would let you try any I have. I love the Hardy Test , but for $80. Cabela's has a 6'6" glass rod that cast great into the wind. Also Allen's AST is fantastic. I wouldn't go longer than 8 foot though. No nee.to.
[signature]
If you're using a 6 and 7 wt rod for trout in Utah it sounds like you like heavier rods and maybe go with the 4wt. 8' 6'' is a little long for some of those streams but not all. It certainly should be fine on the lakes. Personally I like a 2 or 3 wt for those streams and and 2-4 wt on the lakes depending on the wind. If the 8'6" is a really good deal buy it. You can always get a 7 ft 2 or 3 wt for the smallest streams later[laugh].
[signature]
Steve I'm reading you as saying you want the rod for dry flies (generally) AND small streams and lakes in the Uinta's. First of all, you can't look at any two rods and say they're both 3's or 4's or whatever so they're comparable. The options for materials, action etc. are almost limitless and it's nice to have a good warranty too. I would look for something that has enough backbone to buck a little wind or throw a little more line if necessary and has a soft enough tip to protect light tippets.

I bought my girlfriend an 8'6" 4 wt. St. Croix Imperial earlier this year, it fits the above parameters well and you can find them several places for ~ $200. It's also available as a 4 piece so you can pack it easily. Of course there are nicer options if you want to spend the money.

Lines: I've been very pleased with the Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout tapers (the double taper, not the weight forward for what you describe), they're about $80 but I've got lines with a couple of hundred days on them and they look new.

To address your last question about the difference between 3's and 4's; that's really broad, and there are too many variables as mentioned above. In my opinion most fisherman couldn't tell the difference if you handed them one or the other so just pick the one you want and go catch some fish.
[signature]
My $.02 : Go with that rod. You will probably find yourself using that 8'6" 4 wt. for everything in Utah and leaving your 6/7 wt in the closet.
[signature]
Thanks for the input everyone, I think Im going to go for what I orginaly was going to get, the 8'6" 4wt and later on get a 2wt if needed. I found a pretty good deal on the rod I want so thanks for the help, I just hope they still have some left!
[signature]
My Dad uses a St. Croix Legend Elite 8'6" 4wt as his go to trout rod and really likes it. I have a St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2wt that I love using on small streams.
[signature]
I am with you on that. I have a couple 8'6" 4 wts, that never make it to the Uinta's if I am fishing from shore. Float tube they are fine. I bet your casting skills have doubled casting that rod, eh.[Wink]
Most popular stream rods out there is 7' 9"[cool]
[signature]
I just got a Temple Fork 6' 2wt and it rocks for getting into tight spaces on small streams! Also makes fighting the little uns a lot more fun.

I'm not sure how substantial the difference would be going to a 4wt, but for me on this little rod (coming from a 9' 6wt) it was like learning to cast all over again. The folks at the community pond probably got a kick out of watching me take it out for its trial run, and cursing under my breath every time I ended up with just a pile of line on the water... it takes a lighter touch. lol
[signature]
I hear ya. I have been using the 6'6" 4wt Cabela's almost all summer and I feel it has upped my game. I pay more attention to my casting.
I have the 7'9" 2wt LL that is a super nice small stream rod.
Like an idiot, last year on my week long trip up north for big Trout, I took all my 6's, 8's and spey gear, plus my TFO 5 wt., but I threw in the Hardy just in case. Hubby was sick almost the entire trip, so I ended up fishing the river. That 7' 4 wt Glass Hardy was so nice.
I was so content fishing river for 7 to 8 hours.
Then on the third day of a 7 day trip, I accidentally lost the tip of the rod to the trailer door. I was stuck (and I mean stuck) fishing that TFO the rest of the trip. I lost so many hits because this once nice feeling rod, now felt like a club compared to the H.
Oh well, gotta do what you got to do.
I will add, I have two Orvis Bamboos, bot 7' 4 wt, the Super Fine also a 7' 4wt. a Lamiglass glass three piece also a 7' 4wt. and the Trout Bum a four piece 7 foot 4 wt.....so I am parcial to that length and weight[cool]
[signature]
I have that rod almost 2 years now. It casts well in tight spaces and where most of the trout are likely to be under 16 inches it was enough backbone to handle them. It's my favorite rod overall under 7 ft ( I think I have 4[crazy]) It went for $99 when I picked it up. I have a 7ft 2 wt Clear Creek that cost me all of $39 a decade ago. It casts tremendously for a little rod. Just a little too long for extremely tight places. I don't think these very small rods need to be expensive to handle well. Save the money for bigger rods were it makes a much bigger difference.
[signature]
That reminded me. I had the 6' 3 wt W.W. Griggs too. I gave it to Trout Bum Dave. Another $39. rod.
Granted, you don't have to spend a lot of money on any size rod. Personal choice and there is a big difference.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]... I don't think these very small rods need to be expensive to handle well. Save the money for bigger rods were it makes a much bigger difference.[/quote]

I did. I just got one of these bigger rods:

http://www.squidjig.com/fishinggear/carb...%20rod.htm

Now I have to learn how to cast with it.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
[quote RonPaulFan][quote riverdog]... I don't think these very small rods need to be expensive to handle well. Save the money for bigger rods were it makes a much bigger difference.[/quote]

I did. I just got one of these bigger rods:

[url "http://www.squidjig.com/fishinggear/carbon%20surf%20rod.htm"]http://www.squidjig.com/...bon%20surf%20rod.htm[/url]

Now I have to learn how to cast with it.

Ronald Smile[/quote]

and the spinning rod above has what to do with fly fishing?
[signature]