Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Maintenance
Yes it's the time to start getting the boat ready for her winter vacation.

Some of things I've done this past week: [ol] [li]Greased the wheel bearings,[/li] [li]Checked all the fluid levels, [/li] [li]Changed the oil & filter - kicker also[/li] [li]Put in fuel stabilizer - kicker also[/li] [li]Tightened all the visible screws/bolts - seats & trailer also[/li] [li]Checked the tire pressure on the trailer/truck[/li] [li]Checked the brake fluid in the surge brakes on trailer[/li][/ol]

Some things left to do: [ol] [li]Drain lower unit and refill - check for water - kicker also[/li] [li]Change the spark plugs - 4th season time for new - kicker also[/li] [li]Fog the carb. - kicker also[/li][/ol]

Mind you I still fish until the water turns hard or the boat ramp is a skating rink, but if I have all this done, then I simply drain the block and manifolds and throw on the cover and take out the battery.

I realize each boat has it's own particular maintenance issues but I just posted this since we are entering the "Below Freezing" Zone.

Hope you all get your boat safely stowed when the time is right.

Question: Do you guys lift the weight off your tires in storage?
[signature]
Thanks for that, Lundman. I need to do those things, but I'm reluctant to because I don't want to admit that I'm ever calling it quits for the year! On the other hand, I don't want a boat full of snow either...
[signature]
It is called fogging oil, and you can purchase it at all marine shops, and probably at all auto part stores.
[signature]
If you go to a Mercury dealer and get the name brand stuff, its Mercury Storage Seal, rust inhibitor.

I have seen off brand stuff called Store right, or a few other names.

Bottomline, it doesnt matter what brand you buy, Yamaha, Merc, or an off brand, just make sure to follow the instructions in your owners manual and on the can for maximum protection.

Dont forget to grease all the grease ponits on your outboard to make sure that any standing water gets pushed out by the grease. Wouldnt want the steering shaft to freeze and crack on you when a little grease can take care of that.

Make sure to check the hydraulics for water.

Dont forget to take care of the trailer. A perfectly well maintained boat in excellent shape on a busted trailer anit gonna do much fishing in the spring. Them bearings need grease, and maybee even replaced. Brakes need serviced, bunks need bolts tightened and maybee replaced, Moving parts need protected from the elements.

On outboards, you will want to drain the fuel filter, and carb. Bolth contain small amounts of gas that can break down on you, and screw up your gear.

Make sure you dont have any standing water in the hoses on your livewell, and the bilge pump doesnt have water in it. No one wants to find out thier bilge pump is cracked when you really need it to work.

All the previously mentioned stuff should definitley be done, in addition to the things here you should do all the maintenance items in your owners manual. There is no substitute for well maintained engines, boat and trailer.
[signature]
Nice post Lundman. All stuff that needs to be done by boat owners, so your boat doesn't end up in the shop next spring!
[signature]
By the way, Welcome aboard
[signature]
alot of people will argue with me on this but WD-40 is a good fogging agent. it displaces water and keeps metal from corrosion. I've used it before when I didn't have anything else to use and have heard a couple different shops recomend it. I un-plug the fuel line, as it runs out of fuel I spray this or whatever other agent in the carburator and keep it running for a few seconds with it ( it will run pretty rough) and then after I'm done doing that I remove all the spark plugs and spray each cylender with a quick shot. DZ
[signature]