Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine 26/7/2012
Went to the pig today. Me and my buddy both limited out on kokes. I forgot my fish finder so we went blind. Best depth was about 30 feet. Bright pink squids with pink RMT dodgers was all that they would hit. We trolled at about 2 mph. The water is pretty low but were able to put the boat in at the first ramp without issues. Just mind the cow pies!
[signature]
Aaack! And here I am turning down a piggy invite - seconds later - sheeesh. Maybe fate is calling???

So what time were ya'll on the water, if you don't mind my asking? Dodgers and squids oh my! I can do THAT!

So ya'll running riggers of leadline? 8oz weights?

Nice collection of pinkies there! Schwing! Thanks for sharing. I have GOT to get on them waters before the fall lockdown....

I'm guessing the water's got pretty low by now.
Nice job and thanks for the report I've been planning a trip over there in the next week and wondered if I could launch my 16' ski type boat. Do you think I can? Thanks J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Since you only show 8 fish in the picture, I'm just wondering if you know the limit on kokanee out of Porcupine is 12 per person. Good job either way. Here's a quote from the proclamation:[/size][/#800000][/font]

[size 2]
Quote:Limit 12 trout and salmon, only 4 may be rainbow, cutthroat or brown trout in the aggregate. To take 12 fish, you must possess at least 8 salmon.
[/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
No problem at all. We got out there about 2:45pm and left at 8:00pm. We had downriggers and let out about 50 feet of line behind the cannonball. I would guess that you have about a week before its canoe of kayak only-or something you can carry.
I probably wont make it out there again until ice off. I got a gorge trip planned next week to really get koke addicted!!
[signature]
My boat is 16' and had no problems. There is no water coming in the res. at the upper end. Only at that spring a bit past half way up. My guess is that in about a week it will be too silty at the lower ramp and too steep at the upper ramps. The upper ramp looked pretty steep and pulling a boat out may bot work too well. Tires just might not grab.
[signature]
I'm guessing that I over think this proclamation. The way I read it I can have 12 trout and salmon. Only 4 can be trout which means only 8 can be salmon. But then the last part of the proc says "To take 12 fish, you must possess at least 8 salmon." So I guess I can have more than 8 because it says "at least 8 salmon"...meaning could be more, up to 12. Sweet. Thanks for pointing that out.
[signature]
Needs to go back to the limit of 24 per angler for a few years, I think it would help increase the size of the kokes[fishin]
[signature]
Thanks for the ramp update and good luck at the gorge I'm going to try that soon as well. Where did you find the Kokes at the pig? Are they hanging down off the dam? Maybe I'll have to try an evening trip as well I can't miss the mornings at work next week. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]
There really is no specific place where we had success but most of them did come from the larger body of water before you go to the narrow part of the res.
[signature]
Okay thanks for the info.... So I can just start trolling from the launch and go until I cross their paths good deal.... Thanks again... J
[signature]
I was up at the pig on Wed 25th the first ramp is good, we also limited out, we cought 20 each... about half got off just as we would get them to the boat, all of them where about 10" to 13"

I was using pink/yellow wedding rings with yellow spinners, and pink wedding rings tipped with yellow power bait.

We where trolling at 1.4 mph, and where running downriggers at 45 to 50 feet, and long lines at 25 to 30 feet.

we got up there at 4:30 pm, and fished untill 8:30 pm.

I did have my fishfinder going... and there is a school of them about every 30 to 40 feet, there everywhere, no one place was better then another.
[signature]
Sweet nice report I'm looking forward to giving it a try. J
[signature]
When are you thinnin' on going?

I got a box of Koke tackle and ticklers that need to get wet. And heck - it's been over a year since I exercised the rigger... might be good to practice it up some if I hope to run to BL someday. And the Pig does have some deeeep waters. I've marked off 100 ft near the dam. But seemed the kokes liked to run along the rim - more in 30-50.

If we co-opt a trip - could be helpful if anyone has a skidder getting in or out.
Bud at work told me he's done at Newton this year - about couldn't drive his rig out, so . . . .( yeah! )

Now that I've actually caught a few, I'm a believer! And that was from shore. . . . as for limits - in Idaho it was 15 day, and you could have 30 in possession. I didn't exactly limit out!!! But I'm still puzzled by ours - it still sounds like of the 12, you can have 8 Kokanee. Maybe we should ask the chiefs. It's one of those - like a community pond - if you go catch two trout somewhere else, can you then go to a community pond and catch two fish (any variety) or not? Fizzlesticks.
+1 Pete, there is way to many, if they boosted it back up to the days of old, I would make the trip up, but it ain't worth it to go up there for it now to me.
[signature]
Yote I'll probably try going on Monday. If I can swing it I'll leave work by 12:30 and be home hooked up and heading to the pig by 2:30. It takes at least an hour to get there so should be fish'en by 4:00. Will something like that work for you? Might help to divide and cover more water till we find them. I'm pretty sure you can have twelve Koke as long as you don't catch any trout. It would sure be fun if we could catch enough to fill a smoker. Does anyone jig Kokes in the summer? I've always done well through the ice jigging but always troll in the summer. Later J
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]But I'm still puzzled by ours - it still sounds like of the 12, you can have 8 Kokanee.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Trust me Bubba - the limit really is 12 kokanee.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[Smile]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I read it again, and I think the lightbulb went on.
I did make it up there today, but only fished from shore - so I didn't use a rigger (did try to pitch a dodger, but um uh - not so great...)
Caught a few, but didn't have to worry about any limits. Saw a fairly sizable fiberglass boat launch at the first ramp. (guys from the Kokanee forum. . . ) They had a big Ford pickup.
They managed, didn't see them offload, but the bottom is pretty muddy - seems there's a rocky strip, and you don't want to get off the side.

Had a feller drop a smaller "trout assassin" - I think it was - up at the camping nearer the inlet. But he pretty well pushed it off the tailer - didn't even plunk wheels in. I think I could do that. The top of that first ramp road is pretty potholed. And steep.
that would be me CS. was kinda hairy there for a bit launching but retrieving was ok we knew right where and where no to go on the ramp.
[signature]