Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fished 7800S. Jordan River?
Has anyone fished at the Jordan River Parkway 7800S or anywhere farther north than that all the way down to the great salt lake? If so what kinda catches and where? I'm thinkin about taking an adventure walk to find future fishing spots lol. I'm in hunt of a huge river monster lolz.
[signature]
I fished on the jordan trail last night between 11 & 12. using chicken liver about 10ft from shore. channel cats ranging from 25-30 inches were bieng caught. the big one is out and about and the time to catch him is now. wait till the the temp is cool usually between 6-10am and 10pm-2am are ur best times to go after the bigones when were in our hotter months
[signature]
Nice! I've caught them in the morning (Big ones) but I've never stayed past like 9:30 because I'm young and my dad some reason hates everything about the river and he think s the boogey man is out to get me. Do u mind me asking what part of the Jordan river ur fshing? Near UT lake or just n the cities? I walked along 7800 S. Jordan River today and it was the lamest stretch of river ever. They have the river running totally straight....The only spot that looks fishable is somewhere called howards hole and this one spot slightly north of howards hole where they have some "sewage converted water" entering the river there. I watched 10+ Carp swimming right next to where the regular river and the sewer creek thing entered. There might be other fish at the bottom that I obviously can't see.

Oh and I went tonight and it was DA lamest thing ever. I caught 2 dinky mud cats and 1 white bass. I lost a big one or at least decent I think. I didn't have my drag set properly at the beginning and he went charging with it and made it snap.
[signature]
This is probably a dumb question but do you bring a spot light, lantern with u late at night? Otherwise I picture messes and disasters happening lol.
[signature]
If you can get down to 123s. You might have a little better luck. There are some big suckers that are fun to catch and a few channel cats.
[signature]
yah I bring a flashlight. usually when I night fish its a spot where I can use my lights on my car. I fish alot at saratoga springs marina called pelican bay and they have street light type things all around. lately the bugs are mad crazy though and theres millions of them. The other night I was fishing the river pretty close to thanksgiving point. I just bring some ground lights that lay on the ground and i turn those on not so close to me but near me, that attracts a majority of the bugs around you. Then I wear a what I call a taliban wrap and wrap a whole shirt around my face, and head. my glasses act as goggles. I wear pants and a hooded sweater. thats keeps the bugs off ya at night. or just start a fire but you not allowed to start a fire in alot of places around here right now. but thats why i only fished for about a hour or two because it gets way hot.
[signature]
If you use some deet, the bugs will stray off and you dont have to wear winter clothes and could stay out late and probably not get heat exhaustion.
[signature]
oh yah thats a good idea. That stuff works great. You must not understand the magnitude of bugs Im taking about though. I went out to saratoga springs two weeks ago ignorant about the bugproblem out there. it was about 10 at night conditions perfect for fishing. Well I noticed the place was a ghost town and I thought wow how lucky am I. I took about ten steps away from my car closer to the water and about 10 bugs in my mouth, bugs in my shirt, buzzing all around my ears. Keep in mind this is after drenching myself in bug spray. When you looked out to the water it looked as if it was raining for as far as you can see. I tried out there the other night and it was just as bad and just as desolete. I then decided to "lace my boots" and geared up. I dare you to go out there to saratoga springs marina at night and fish just for ten minutes with just using some deet to fight off the bugs. bet you wont even make it to the water bro, no lie its that bad.
[signature]
Suckers are my fav fish to catch. It seems like a 50/50 spot because I've gone there 4 times and 2 times I caught 3 big suckers each. The other times I only got dinky white bass and Mud cats. Suckers or at least the ones i've been catching are cranky Wink. They make the pole make that screaming sound. The biggest Sucker I've ever caught though was on approximately 9400S. I'm not sure why but they made a dam there and this year they've made the dam differently. I'm honestly not even sure if fish can get through the dam or if they're stuck their. I haven't tried it but I bet it has some HUGE fish because at minimum it is 8 feet deep where the dam is and that's assuming the bottom doesn't go any farther down which I doubt.

Oh and I've never fished 12300S. but I've got to the Jordan river trail on 12600 S. and fished the river walking down south. I found an awesome spot where I usually only got channel cats and actually I missed one that at minimum was 24 inches, probably more. He looked nastier than any other cat fish I've caught in there. But It's like a cliff and several feet to the water and I didn't have a net so I got screwed Sad.
[signature]
Most bug sprays have DEET in them. It's the active ingrediant that keeps the biting bugs away but the bugs that Joe are talking about could care less if you have bug spray on or not. Just the sheer number of bugs that is the problem because when you stir them up they just go everywhere.

Joe,

Look aroung for a good head net that you can put over a hat and then tuck it into your shirt and it will make it much more tollerable to fish than having all of those clothes on.

[url "http://www.basspro.com/Coghlan-s-Mosquito-Head-Net/product/60261/127427?hvarAID=shopping_shoppingdotcom"]http://www.basspro.com/Coghlan-s-Mosquito-Head-Net/product/60261/127427?hvarAID=shopping_shoppingdotcom[/url]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
http://www.nebocreek.com/products/Mosqui...41%5D.html

$2 cheaper plus $3 shipping vs $5.95...just sayin.
[signature]
Gives him an idea of what is out there and they can be found everywhere around here without shipping costs. Most stores around here don't have web sites.

Never told anybody to order from there.

Have even seen them in the outdoor section at Smiths.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Live in glendale area about 4 blocks from the jordan found a couple spots that produce fish one about 1250 s 900 w another 2100 s about 1000 w.caught lots of trout white bass lm bass walleye cats up to 12# heres some pcs first is of spot st 2100 s area I
[signature]
Woah! Nice bro...'l have to make my way down there some time. Do they plant it with trout down there or why are they so far north? I've NEVER seen nor caught a trout on the Jordan. I heard they supposedly used to plant it sometimes but never actually verfied it myself.
[signature]
There are also all the streams from millcreek and cottonwood canyons that have trout in them that dump into the jordan. I am sure some trout come in from there.
[signature]
I guess I'll be going to google maps then cause if I can find that then maybe i'll find a good spot Smile.
[signature]
I have fished that exact part of the river at 7800 S. and used worms to catch a slew of big carp and some channel cats. Mostly carp. It's a stinky, muddy, ugly place, but full of those two species. Occasionally you get a surprise of some other species. If I fish the Jordan I prefer to be further south, up to the Saratoga Springs area.
[signature]
There are few spots on the south side of 7800. Walk south a couple blocks and then work south. There are some decent cats there. You will also catch some suckers that have some shoulders on them. Just look for bends in the river, slower pools or the tail end of some faster flows
[signature]
Really? I walked on the north trail and I saw 2 spots that looked like they might be good. I'll have to check out the south side. From what I've seen the 7800S. area is more shallow and straght than just about any where else on the river. The first spot on the north trail was by howards hole and the second spot was this one spot a little more south where"recycycled sewage water or something along those comes pooring in. When went walking around 4 p.m. where that sewer water entered, I could see TONS of fish. From what I could tell, all but 1 were carp and that 1 that wasn't looked like a sucker. It was actually really fun watching them swim. It almost seemed like they were playing their own fish games lol. Other than those 2 spots it's one of the most boring stretches of river I've seen. They've straightened it TONS. The spots I thought looked good weren't shady like my usual spots are either.

Has any1 else fished 7000S. or farther north?
[signature]