Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a Poke at the Pig
Almost hooked up with Petty 4 a trip, we actually crossed, but kinda missed. (silly me!) Had the chance to observe the pros launch, then headed up to the inlet. There was some water flowing, not tons - surely not enough compared to how fast it is blasting out! Several folks commented on how far it's come down in few days.
[inline "Inlet Flow.jpg"]

Got out to shore, and found a big fat cutthroat, that either broke off, or got hooked bad. Still stuck to a line wrapped to a stick. Chunky 16-17" - had some teeth!
[inline "Didn't make the Cutt.jpg"]

Started pitching an orange flatfish that'd brought my first Koke up at Alturas a week ago. No love, no bumps. Pitched out a worm on the bottom, and moved to a simple red trout spinner, and after a few casts - ping - my first Koke at the Pig. was followed by a few more chasers, more bumps and taps, and a couple good swipes.
[inline "First Piggy Koke.jpg"]

Got no where near needing to debate 8 vs 12 on this day, but catching any kokanee from shore was a treat for me. Also made for a treat for the family after sentencing to walk the plank.

A group of folks showed up and took to paddling, floating across the lake to jump off the cliffs, GoPro action and all. (look on the rocks, and in the water in front) [inline "Paddlers and Jumpers.jpg"]

[inline "One giant leap for . . ..jpg"]

Action slowed as daylight burned. I switched up patterns, but nothing seemed to hit as well as that first red-spinner.

[inline "Deep Blue Daze.jpg"]

[inline "Less than a limit.jpg"]

The verdict? Plank 'em Jimmy.
[inline "Silver Outside - Pink Inside.jpg"]
At least you got some good about of dinner XD. Ehh I'm so tempted to go cliff jumping Sadly its off because if my nail :/.
[signature]
Yote that's really good if you can catch 4 Kokes from the shore. And I forgot there were Cutts in there that took me back to my high school fishing trips. We used to catch the prettiest limits of Cutts up there it was a great spot for the old opening day of the fishing season. thanks for the report. Were the boats catching some fish? It looks like a fun day out. Later J
[signature]
Im glad you got a few. All 8 of mine earlier this week were males. Did you notice the same thing?
[signature]
Should have said who you where bro i would have told you to jump in, we took home 23 lost atleast that many if not more. off the water about noon.
[signature]
Four is better then nothing, good job man. I need to get up there. Those things looks so deliciuos[Smile]
[signature]
J- Hope the weather cooperates Mon. Wouldn't want wet-slippery roads. Might not hurt to have a come-along come along.
As for others catching - I think that's been pretty definitively answered!

Petty - I blew it. Bet that launch get's your blood pumping pretty good. I waited till I knew you'd got your truck out before I drove on. Clearly it paid off for ya! You smoking those?

Quicky - 1 female, only one with some eggs anyway. But I think Petty's sampling will cover a more statistically accurate measure! Haha
Can anybody give me some pointers on catching kokes at the pig I've never been there before and have never caught any salmon but I bought a bunch of flashers and squid I also have a boat but no downriggers any info would be great
[signature]
if launch conditions where better id offer to take you up. but there terrrible so i think im done up there for the year. time to start hitting east canyon and strawberry
[signature]
Is the launching conditions to bad to launch a 16 foot.aluminum? Me and my son went to the Berry today and tried for the kokes no love but did get some nice bows
[signature]
you would probly be ok with that boat, mine is a 17ft fiberglass so its alittle hairy for me
[signature]
well i might give it one more try[Wink]
[signature]
That's a bummer you wont be able to launch up there anymore I think me and my boy are going to give it a try in the morning and try our luck
[signature]
Good luck to you bud! I will post our luck
[signature]
Sounds like it's getting a little hairy doesn't it? I think I'll try tomorrow anyway but I've never been known to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Does anyone know if they are tipping the lures with anything? I like crawlers for trout but don't know if Kokes like them. Anyway hope to see you up there guess I got a full boat. Later J
[signature]
i tip my lures with berkly gulp maggets covered in procure herring scent
[signature]
Thanks Petty I appreciate the info. J
[signature]
You should check his link to Kokanee Tackle for some good gear to use. All kinds of odd flavors Koke's might like. Spinner and squiddies and spoons and such.

I picked up a collection, may well have come from Petty's sources. . .

[inline "Koke stuff 004.jpg"]
Looks like you spent some change to get geared up. I'm hoping my Gorge gear will work okay. I guess we'll see. Later J
[signature]
Just run a silver dodger with a pink spinner/squid no more than 10" behind the dodger. Tip spinner hook with maggot and troll about 1.2mph -1.6mph.
Remember, kokes don't eat minnows/flies/crawdads/etc, it is a reactionary bite.
Fire up the bbq and enjoy!
[signature]