Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth Bass
Yes I've read extensively on mercury in fish. I'm not advocating anyone go against the recommendations but paranoia of mercury may do more harm than good. The interesting thing about the warning about fish in pregnancy is the studies say the more fish the pregnant mother eats the higher IQ the child will have. Again not recommending anyone go a purposely eat lots of mercury but what little harm mercury in fish may have in general seems to be offset by the beneficial nature of fish compared to other meat http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/241036.php
There was another study done in the US ( no link right now) showing a similar effect.
Nice try though[Wink].
[signature]
[quote maniac]Just keep in mind when you take those fish home to eat. The Bigger the fish the higher the mercury content. Especially in Small mouth Bass, brown trout and Walleye.
Yum Yum!!!![/quote]

Just watch for the lakes with the consumption advisories.

I had a buddy that hated all fish except shrimp. I fed him beer battered smallies and he claimed it tasted just like shrimp! I have never noticed a difference in warm or cold water BTW.
[signature]
The higher fatty acids omega3 and omega 6 are actually found in the Salmon.
Not trying to scare anyone, just giving a little info!
Just remember, Trout are food and Bass are toys!!!
Good luck and good fishing!
[signature]
Here is a easy tempra batter recipe.
1 cup flour
1 cup cold water (beer)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
And if you want to take some fish taste out deep fry in butter flavor crisco
[signature]
Not to gore anyone's ox, but please don't keep a bunch of SMB that are over 12 inches . The prolific 10-12 inch fish are perfect for filleting and eating. We have struggled for so many years to get good populations of bass in our waters in the northern part of the state. The bigger fish, 12-16 inches are the most prolific spawners and we need them to maintain the populations. The 10-12 inch fish have not made it over the 'hump' yet and it will not hurt the population to keep a limit of them. Now, at Powell or the Gorge, keeping some of the bigger fish is not a problem, I still prefer to keep the smaller 10-12 inch ones, but you will not hurt the population if you keep some bigger ones. But Pineview say, or Jordanelle !! You keep a bunch of 14-16 inch fish and you will hurt the population. As to care, if you are keeping them, put em on ice immediately to have the best result. they are tasty battered and deep fried.
If you've fished Pineview recently, there are about 17 bazillion 5" smallies. They form clouds so dense your fishfinder thinks they are bottom! Last year's hatch must have been phenomenal. They should be "footers" by next year if there's enough water this winter.
[signature]
+1 Therapist.

There is no need to keep the larger bass. We need these fish for spawning not to mention the fun of letting others catch a decent sized fish. The size of the fish doesn't affect the taste. If you can fillet a perch you can fillet a 10 inch bass. I eat bass often, but rarely keep anything over 12 inches unless it's been deep hooked.
[signature]
[quote maniac]The higher fatty acids omega3 and omega 6 are actually found in the Salmon.
Not trying to scare anyone, just giving a little info!
Just remember, Trout are food and Bass are toys!!!
Good luck and good fishing![/quote]
Yes but all fish have then and bass are a fairly good source http://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-shellf...ecies-raw/
The studies looked at fish consumption not type of fish
[signature]
All I am saying is it doesn't make any sense at all to keep the big fish. You only hurt yourself and others by killing the big fish that are mature. More Mercury and less big fish to catch later. It's simple logic!!!
Anyone should easily understand this selective harvest idea.
Th Bass take a lot longer to grow to maturity than a Rainbow trout, at least in this part of the Country.
If my memory serves me right, a 3lb Large mouth from Pine view was like eight or nine years old. That is a long time to grow a fish!
[signature]
Just so you know that 5" bass will only be 7" in a lake with tons of food, they only grow 1 1/2" to 2" per year at best..

Small mouth are slow growing, like perch..
[signature]