Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonar Battery
So this weekend I was planning on heading out to the Uintas, and in my preperations. I hooked my Humminbird 570 up to my battery a Cabela's rechargeable 12volt. The finder wouldn't turn on. I checked the battery with a volt meter, and it showed around 6v. I charged the battery overnight, and it only made it to 10.92v. The finder still wouldn't turn on.

I remember from doing some reading I guess the battery has to have atleast 11v to turn the finder on.

After i got back from the Uintas I charged the battery again, and got it just above 11v and the finder would turn on but then turn right back off.

I can't get the battery to charge any farther so i guess it's time for a new battery. I never was good at keeping it charged after every outing. I just kept running it.

From reading I should charge it back to full after getting back home then top it off again the night before using it.

I don't mind the Cabelas battery, but wouldn't mind finding something better. Any help would be great.

[size 6][/size]
[signature]
I bought all my Rechargeable at NPS. They read almost 14 when I check them and they can sit for months and be just fine. I say you have a bad battery.
I can also use Home Security back-up batteries.
[signature]
if you know someone in the IT industry ask them if they have any of the 12v 7ah from UPS units. This is a common size used in the UPS systems and happens to match what many of us use for tubes/toons for sonar. Most of the UPS systems we have at my work have a set of these batteries in them and when one goes bad they replace them all. So that means each time they remove them to send them off for disposal I get a chance to check for any good ones still in the batch.

Clearly part of their life is used already but when something is free and lasts for a season or two it seems worth it to me.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NPS used to have a large display of 12V batteries of all sizes and shapes...for 70 cents a pound. Good deal. They no longer have much and the ones they are selling are more expensive than new ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a bunch of 7ah 12 volts...the same as the Cabelas...that have been used less than a year as backup system batteries. Resting charge over 13 volts. Selling them at $10 each or 3 for $25.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The SLA batteries are not designed to be used as deep cycle batteries. You should never run them to failure. Charge them after each use and check them before use if they have been setting for a few weeks...or months. Also, you need to use a small "trickle charger"...less than 1 amp. Using a car battery charger will ruin the battery.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hooked the battery up to the charger last night, and I got it to go up to 12.82v.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is good. Now check it periodically for the next few days. When a battery starts going it will not hold a resting charge very long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of the modern batteries seem to have a memory for what "full charge" is. If you do not charge them completely the first time they are difficult to get to charge beyond that on later charges. Similarly, if the battery has set idle in a discharged state for any period of time you may have to recharge it over several sessions. And once it is back up to peak charge don't let it run completely down any more.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is why if you can find any of those "surplus" batteries at NPS...or anywhere...you need to put a voltage tester on them to check their charge. I bought several at NPS while they had them and most were well over 12 volts resting charge. But those that weren't were usually only 2 or 3 volts. Not worth taking home...even for free.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD

I've been charging it some more over the last couple days. I let it charge for a couple hours then take it off, and let it rest then charge it some more.

Last night it showed 13.03v on my meter. I think it's about topped out.

I'll let it rest for a couple days then see if it can keep the charge.
[signature]
Jack:

Will be interesting to see if the battery holds up. That 13 V might just be a surface charge, because there is usually a great loss of capacity when I've gone down to 6 V in the past, as some individual cells may get reversed. Sometimes I've gotten a few moderate cycles after such cases, then down it goes....

Pon

[quote Jackalope]Thanks TD

I've been charging it some more over the last couple days. I let it charge for a couple hours then take it off, and let it rest then charge it some more.

Last night it showed 13.03v on my meter. I think it's about topped out.

I'll let it rest for a couple days then see if it can keep the charge.[/quote]
[signature]
One other thing is DO NOT EVER store a lead acid battery on a concrete floor, ALWAYS put something (2X6, Plywood, shelf, workbench, etc) between the battery and concrete, concrete will drain it in a matter of a few days and ruin it, dead, forever!!!!!!!
[signature]
I believe that is a myth B. The cool cement could lower it slightly, but cement does not drain batteries. Google
[signature]
[quote BFVSFOREVER]One other thing is DO NOT EVER store a lead acid battery on a concrete floor, ALWAYS put something (2X6, Plywood, shelf, workbench, etc) between the battery and concrete, concrete will drain it in a matter of a few days and ruin it, dead, forever!!!!!!![/quote]
Like FG says, myth. That was true years ago before enclosed plastic housings. Where I work, and believe me, we have batteries on concrete for months and nothing ever happens. Starting batteries, 6v deep cycle, 12 v deep cycle, industrial etc.
[signature]
So it's been two weeks, and I checked the battery and it show's 12.53V.

So I'm thinking everything will be ok yes/no maybe??

I'll make sure to always top it off before going out, and again when I get back.
[signature]

[quote Jackalope]So it's been two weeks, and I checked the battery and it show's 12.53V.

PON: Not good, should be 12.8V or more.

So I'm thinking everything will be ok yes/no maybe??

PON: No, you have lost some permanent capacity, probably because of a reversed cell, since you went to 6V. A reversed cell consumes energy and does not contribute its share to the voltage. So, when you connect a load the voltage will drop, possibly rapidly, so your device may not work after 30 minutes or so.

I'll make sure to always top it off before going out, and again when I get back.

PON: That would help with a good battery, may make just a small difference with a bad one.

[/quote]

Hope above comments help.

Pon
[signature]
So yesterday I hooked the finder up to the battery, and left it in the garage to see how long the battery would last.

The voltage reading on the finder read 12.4v when I started. After 14 hrs it read 11.8v.

It looks like it should be ok for a while.
[signature]
[quote Jackalope]So yesterday I hooked the finder up to the battery, and left it in the garage to see how long the battery would last.

The voltage reading on the finder read 12.4v when I started. After 14 hrs it read 11.8v.

PON: If the sonar was running that long without a screen/power saver then you should be good to go for awhile. You can use a much smaller battery (lighter/cheaper) if the drain is that low under normal operation.

It looks like it should be ok for a while.[/quote]

Seems like you're good to go, good luck.

Pon
[signature]