Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Sunday 10/26
My wife and I hit Scofield again Sunday afternoon and we really got into the rainbows again. We first trolled for a while and my wife caught a small one, but we immediately caught 2 nice ones at the same time when we switched to power bait and nightcrawler/marshmallow. Both baits worked equally well, and the shore fishermen were pulling them in also. It was pretty cool and breezy, but quite comfortable with the fish biting so fast. We were really disappointed to find the restrooms locked up already, with the weather still nice and the boat ramp still getting a lot of use. I'd think they'd at least have a couple of portable toilets near the boat ramp because everyone was just peeing in the bushes anyway. (I emailed State Parks and told them, too!) It was a great day and we had lots of fun, and this weekend I'll fire up the smoker again. I can see that ice fishing will be red hot on Scofield this winter.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, I never did understand why they close the restroom so early and like you said why don't they at least have some portable johns. People use that lake all year long they should keep bathrooms open all year long too. WH2
[signature]
I agree, they should have some kind of restroom facility available throughout the winter. A few years back I called the state park and inquired as to why they aren't. I was told that if they did make these facilities available then they would have to close off (free) parking around the lake and have designated areas for parking in which they would charge for. The state parks employee likened it to Strawberry and the winter parking fees they charge and how they tightened up parking regulations around the lake. He also mentioned that 99% of Scofield shore line is private and that it is only through co-op efforts with land owners that there's any access other than the parks/boat ramp areas. The result is plenty of good access and a lack of any winter facilities. Fees collected in the spring, summer & fall pay for the facilities during that season and no fees during the winter translates to no facilities. I too wish we had a "place to go" during the winter months.
[signature]
well dont they still charge the fee to enter the state park in the winter there? if they dont then that makes sense.
[signature]
Most, if not all State Parks charge fees all year long as long as they are open.
The idea that they would have to charge more is not true because they do not charge to use the bathrooms on US40 as you go by Strawberry. You might have to pay to park but not to use the bathroom at least at those sites. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Scofield is off the main road but they do plow that road so I don't see the problem. WH2
[signature]
Just spoke with "Chad" at Scofield State Park. He said that even though the park remains technically open, the state park employees don't get up to the lake very often in the winter. He also told me there aren't enough funds in the winter to keep it up and running. Strawberry has snowmobiling and other winter activities keep the $ coming in... He claims that another problem with keeping bathrooms available are winter temps. He said it would be impossible to keep them from freezing. He also said that one of the boat ramps remains open for use but that for all intents and purposes the "park" is closed in the winter. He claimed fee boxes were for donations during the winter and paying wasn't mandatory. This is basically the same story I was given a few years back when I inquired. The road on the east side of the lake is open during winter months due to the year round residents in the towns of Scofield and Clear Creek. If you'de like to call 435-448-9449... Hope this info helps.. You'de think that because Scofield is Price's drinking water that would want to keep it as clean as possible. He then said that restrooms on us40 at strawberry don't cost money to use but thats because enough money was generated to keep them open.. Not that they would have to charge more per person at scofield, just have more people paying year round.

P.S. You all can come visit me on the west side of the lake and use our "porta-john"...[Wink]
[signature]
I said I emailed State Parks about the restrooms. Today I received an email from them, and here is what they said:
Thanks for contacting us and I am sorry your experience was
disappointing. Hopefully I am able to explain our decision in why we have closed our facilities at Scofield. Normally we close down our operation around the 15th of the month due to the fact we have to shut off the water or risk broken pipes. Night time temps can get down to 10-15 degrees this time of year and replacing broken water lines can be very expensive and time consuming. However, because of the usually mild weather we held off til the 24th this year which also coincided with the laying off of the last of our seasonals and the moving of the Scofield operation to the Huntington office.We do have a vault toilet at
Mountain View in the parking lot below the group pavilion which is no farther away from the dock then the restrooms are. At both Madsen bay and Mountain view it is our hope that fisherman will use these open facilities as do the ice fisherman in the winter. I appreciate your concerns. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me in Huntington at 435-687-2491. DanRichards.

That is good news, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a personal response from him.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Bearclaw and thanks for the offer.

Thanks Mistercompletely for getting the info on the vaulted toilet location in the Mountain view parking lot, I'm not sure why I haven't seen it before. WH2
[signature]