Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small outboards
I'm looking at getting a two hp outboard for my pontoon. I'd like to add an accessory power supply to power my fishfinder. Does anyone know if this is possible?
[signature]
If you are talking a one man pontoon inflate able a 2 HP is going to push you along on plane, a 2 HP is roughly equivelant to a 125 lb thrust electric and at the same time probably not generate enough smooth current to run your finder. I could be wrong, but when I owned one I could troll for wipers with a 30 lb electric. Probably a better and cheaper way to go.
[signature]
Don't forget about the twins!
[signature]
I am not up on motors and all, but I can tell you, we ran a 5 hp Nissan on a 10'6" pontoon for a few years.
No you do not fly. You can move at a good clip and a great way to get from point a to point b. You really can troll with them though. They move a tad quick for that, unless you are on a river.
Sportsman's sells like thse Coleman motors.
You want a motor that you can turn around so you can do both directions and one with an idle so you don't need to pull start it all the time.

There are some pros to gas motor. Going farther and faster.
But there are cons, you can't really troll or use them to hold possition in the wind.

They are lighter than a battery and an electric and last longer than a battery.

After using it for three years, it really wasn't worth it so I traded for a bigger motor for my boat, but definitely worth a shot.

As far as running a sonar off one. I can with the 9.9 Honda, but not the 5 hp Nissan.

[Image: IMG_0952-1.jpg]
[signature]
Sweet ride! I ended up with an Minn Endura 30. I still wanna try the gas outboard, however ima start small.
[signature]
For stillwater, it you kind of need both for the ultimate. The Gas will take you farther, but the electric will let you troll, hold in the wind and short distances.
So, basically the Gas is limited. It can get you farther and is a good idea for moving water, and last longer on a tank than a battery, but it is too fast to troll, and hold in the wind. It is a MOVER. not an adjuster...LOL
[signature]