Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Mantua.
As the season is almost over fished it hard this weekend. Thanks Wiperhunter for showing me the 50/50 method. It will come in handy I am sure! I hit Willard Friday evening and into night. We managed a Walleye and a baby wiper before dark. Nothing else chewed on us save he bugs till 11 ish. Saturday morning fountains me and some kids out chasing some gills from mantua. The fishing was far from fast, for the gills but the size was definitely worth it. I got a few pics. Not a lot, but all in the keeper class.

I found my self driving down the canyon early enough to harass Willard again into the night on Saturday. A quick call and a friend even appeared. 4 eyes and a good wiper later, and then the sun was setting. Fished HARD into the night again. A fat zero again. Got home about 2 ish.

Sunday morning found me up and wandering what to do. Yup, Willard again. Tom was eager after Saturdays wiper. Sunday morning found about 7 eyes most pretty early on the bouncer stuff. 3 baby wipers all on the giant cranks. Thanks again Wiperhunter for the veggies! I made a delicious casserole this evening (see pic)!
[signature]
I really enjoyed getting out there with you, even though the catching was slow that day. We also got out there on Sat and the catching was much better for us as well. If you get a minute please send me the recipe for that good looking casserole, looks much better than the method I use of boiling them and seasoning them with salt, pepper and butter.
[signature]
+1 I'd be interested in the recipe also. I'm always up for a new recipe!
[signature]
Sounds like you got the summertime fish-itch. Maybe a few scratches there! Nothing but Gills at Mantua? No bass-perch-troutskis? Haven't been over that way for a while.

Still pea soup? How low's it gotten?

Did YOU see any boils at Willard?

Nice looking casserole there. Is it just veggies, or gots fish in there too?
I would like to ask if the water at Mantua was still the pea soup color? Should be clearing up soon I hope.
[signature]
Still pea soup. Interestingly enough there were 2 other boat anglers with less then 2 fish a piece and only one shore angler we saw catch anything. The guy had a limit of ugly looking rainbows. They had lots of leeches hanging off of them.
[signature]
Know what fly to use...LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "skin scum" on the rainbows was likely anchor worms. They get stressed and weakened in warm summer waters and they are then susceptible to these skin parasites. Happens in all Utah Lakes that they try to maintain as trout fisheries in spite of warm water. Ugly but not harmful to humans...except for diminishing the appetite. We call them "pizza-sides".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Squash casserole.

1 and 1/2 pound squash (yellow)
3-4 cups white rice.
1 12 ounce can mushroom soup.
4 ounces cream cheese.
1 pound of chicken.
8 ounces of keilbasa.
1 cup milk.
1/2 cup of butter.
Spices, I like garlic, pepper and salt to keep it simple.
1/2 cup cheese (garnish)

Use the butter to sautee the squash in a fry pan. I like it firm and cooked. Set it aside for a minute.

Then chop up your chicken and sausage and cook in a soup pot season with salt pepper and garlic. Once cooked add milk cream cheese, and can of mushroom soup.make sure the cream cheese is melted.

Add 3/4 of the squash to the creamy goodness that is the chicken, sausage, cream cheese and milk.

In a 3 to 4 quart casserole dish put the rice down, then throw the soupy mixture on top of it evenly. Top with he remaining squash. Should take 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Chuck the cheese on top for garnish. I like to use coarse black or pink seasalt on top as well.
[signature]
Yeah, the small hair like fibers are anchor worm, the long "olive" colored (for you fly fisherman) slimey leeches were attached as well. One was on a blue gill we caught. I would have used them for bait if I could have found enough. The black marabou jig was the ticket after several hours, but usually bright and shiny is the ticket. Plain worms never caught a fish for us.
[signature]
Thanks John looks like it will be tasty.
[signature]