Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing/Tooning
The Assault, deep nymphing, Allen rod and reel, Sharkskin line, 30' leader, Chironomids

[url "http://youtu.be/wYqx5MHnngw"]http://youtu.be/wYqx5MHnngw[/url]
[signature]
That is the longest net I have ever seen a person use while fly fishing. Cool vid. Ron
[signature]
Just a Guide Net. I normally use my C&R Tropical Lightening net on the boat because the diameter of the toons are smaller and the fish are right there...LOL

Thanks, just wish the camers hadn't died on a still shot of the trout. It was 25" and fat.
[signature]
That's a nice little fish. Ron
[signature]
I forgot to ask how do you embed a video? Ron
[signature]
25" is Not little in the Trout world.

I hit share on the youtube, then off to the right it reads embed. Copy that address. Then when posting here, there is a space at the bottom of the answer box that reads (please paste the YouTube link here.
It has to be the embed numbers and letters though, not the share.
[signature]
I know what you mean. I got one that size at SFCR this spring. The F&G have been planing Steelhead there. I am thinking that I got one of them. It was a toad.
Thanks for the instructions. Ron
[signature]
I don't know why but when I click on yours it doesn't work. I tried to post one and it doesn't work either. Ron
[signature]
That is why I enclosed "both". Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I guess BFT is still wotking on it.
[signature]
Thanks. Ron
[signature]
Joni,

I don't see an indicator on your line. Are you just using a tight line slow retrieve? I was just introduced to the long leader midging technique by Phil Rowley (he calls it fishing naked as you have no indicator). I'm thinking it would work great in the summer when the fish are deeper.

It has great potential but from my limited experience with it (2 times) if there is any chop on the water you have to feel the take rather than being able to see the subtle line movements which I'm sure causes me to miss a lot of takes.

Is that a floating line and how deep was the water?

Jim
[signature]
My guess that the naked method in 20' depths or more you will likely want to use a sinking line and slowly retreive your chronomids up the water column.

The most effective way for me is using a floating line and indicator when I fish 15' or deeper. FG's slip indicators are effective for this. slowly retrieve, figure 8 style,,,kick away and retrieve again or cast out.

FG,
that is a huge net....nice!

I hope to get back there soon with my pontoon.

Match
[signature]
Jim, the nice thing about a TYPE VII is when the water bottom changes a lot. If you are in 30' of water, you are casting out 30' to 35' of line. Let it sink then figure * crawl the line up, with dropping it now and then and starting over.
I also as Match said, use a floating line with a 30' straight mono or fluoro leader. Suspend the fly 1 foot to 3 feet off the bottom using a slip indicator.
I first found out about these slip indicators from a magazine, Northwest Fishing or something like it. It was about 10 or 15 years ago. At the time we were using little round ones with a toothpick to jam the line. We were deep nymphing but it was very hard with a fixed indicator when a fish hit and of course you have to REEL in due to the long leader. We would have to stop and unhook the indicator.
Lost a lot of fish with barbless hooks doing this, so we ordered these slip indicators.
They were the ticket, but very small. On choppy water they were a pain to watch.
We showed them to Dennis Brakke and he found someone to make them in all sizes. Dennis passed away and Herb Patterson took over, but from what I heard, Phil now buys them from Herb. I carry them as well as Herb doesn't deal with the public so to speak, just businesses.
But, I was just introduced to another supplier.

Oh and my Rio Type VII was sent back to Rio after last trip. Weird, the outer cover separated from the core.
[signature]