Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow that was fun!!
I've been fishing the same little lake most of the summer, and had a bunch of fun. I can pretty much count on 15-30 large mouth bass every time I go. I had been using almost exclusively senko's as nothing else seemed to work. After talking to someone the other day who said they were using top water poppers and how much fun it was I decided to give it a try.

I headed to Sportsmans wherehouse and could only find one popper in their entire inventory, so I decided that was the one I was looking for. I then headed over to the lake and got out on the water. On about my 3rd cast I got a big knot in my line and had to break it off. I decided to see if I could catch something while pulling the popper in by hand. I popped it and the pulled in a little and then popped it again and Wham!!! a nice 12 inch LM came out of the water and slammed it. Let me tell you that was one of the biggest rushes I have ever felt fishing. I got the fish in and unhooked it and tied the popper on my line and threw out again. A few seconds later wham... I got too excited this time and yanked the lure right out of the fishes mouth before it was set. I only had about an hour and 15 minutes untill dark, but caught 15 LM's and even caught one blue gill that was only about twice the size of the popper. It was one of the most fun times I've ever had fishing. It's hard to describe the feeling when you see the fish come out of the surface to take your bait

Enjoyed it so much I went out again this morning at 6:00 even though I didn't get to bed last night till around 1:00. Some pictures are below from this morning... Just thinking about it makes me wonder if I can talk my wife into letting me go out again tonight.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Topwater is really great.

Windriver
[signature]
When I fish topwater I count to three before I set. It so easy to try to set the hook when they slam it. Nothing really beats watching a fish come up and slam your lure.
[signature]
Topwater is definitely my favorite way to catch bass. Your story reminded me of a smallmouth adventure I had this summer. I got a loop in my line, so I cut it. My popper was sitting right next the canoe in the water, when a smallie came up and ate it. I quickly grabbed a hold of the line and held it as tightly as I could against the rod. It was a tense minute or two before I finally landed the 16" bass.
[signature]
Have lots of fond memories of pitching little fly-poppers with spinning gear for Bass in Michigan on small lakes. Been wanting to reproduce that sensation since my fishing revival. But don't think I've properly scratched that itch!

Been pitching popper-cranks, topwater frogs, buzz-baits, zara spooks - all kinds of dog walking splishsplashing who-sie whatsits. But still waiting for that phenomenal slam-bam action - either bass or muskie - I'd take it!

Just keep pitching, just keep pitching....
at least I can fall back to my spinners for a sure hit!
I uploaded another picture a fish caught and the popper I've been using(not sure why the first ones didn't show up). I went out again yesterday, and had only one bite untill about an hour before dark, and then wham they started hitting again right up until it was completely dark then they stopped. I also noticed in the morning they hit really well right at sunrise and then after and hour and a half or so they stopped. I'm obviously no expert, having just started fishing this way, but I wonder if the top water works better really early or really late?
[signature]
Condie was the best place in the area for evening topwater bites. I had some amazing nights with my 8wt throwing poppers. I guess that's all just a memory now.
[signature]