Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cow Tags???
So the state is about to release an additional 1500 cow tags due to lack of forage. Due to the low water/rain year vegetation has been significantly reduced. I can appreciate letting hunters reduce the herds rather than they die from starvation, but the amount of tags is going to significantly stunt the future numbers and quality, especially in the Wasatch unit where a good number of these tags are being allocated to.

My ultimate question is: If forage is an issue, why does open land cattle and sheep grazing continue to be more prevalent? I understand the importance for ranchers ability to maintain costs by paying for forest service rights for grazing. Maybe I am missing something here, but it doesnt seem the forest service is scaling back grazing rights to deal with this matter, but the DWR is ok to increase the amount of elk killed.

I get it the DWR can make more $$$$ from selling tags and the forest service can continue to make their $$$ too?
[signature]
i know up here in the cache national forest they are cutting down on the grazing permits, and costing mor money to.
How does a person get his hands on one of those cow tags you are talking about?
[signature]
Information the additional tags is on www.wildlife.utah.gov.
They go on sale on the 6th.
[signature]
thanks man i'll look into it
[signature]