Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine?
Thinking of going to Porcupine for the first time this weekend. Wondering what I need to know. Haven't seen any recent updates which doesn't help with the confidence factor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be fishing from a boat. Thanks!
[signature]
I think that the Kokanee season is closed so the majority of the fishermen have been after them and those that are left are probably targeting the big browns so they won't say much. Last time I was there the water level was pretty low and it was getting tough to launch a boat. That's been three or four weeks ago so could be dicey by now. Sorry I'm not much help. J
[signature]
The season on Kokanee is only closed for fish with any red color. Those fish that are not spawning are still legal although they will be smaller.
[signature]
Good luck launching a boat. It is dropping at the rate of just over 2 feet per day right now. It is like they pullled the plug on the dam. Water is gushing out without much coming in. Hyrum is also starting to look a little low.
Hopefully we get rain or they shut the irrigation off soon because it won't be long at this rate and you will see fish flopping around in a mud puddle.
I have only seen it this low a couple of times and once is when they drained it for dam repair the other time was in late Sept on a very dry year. Sept hasn't even started and it is still dropping very fast.
[signature]
I'm not sure those fish can get much smaller and still bite. It's funny at the Gorge it was easy to see each age class of fish but they were all larger than the 10 inchers at the pig. Well the smallest class I got at the Gorge was about the size of the largest I caught at porcupine. But they are still fun to catch. I had never heard that you could still catch Kokes during the closed season. I'd have to read that close before I tried it. At the Gorge even the younger class fish still had eggs so I assume that means they were spawning this year. Anyway if it is still open there are a lot of fish in there this year but I'd make sure of the regulations before I went fishing. Later J
[signature]
It is not a closed season just closed to possession.

Porcupine Reservoir, Cache County
• Limit 12 trout and salmon, only 4 may be rainbow, cutthroat or brown trout in the aggregate. To take 12 fish, you must possess at least 8 salmon.
• CLOSED to the possession of kokanee salmon with any red color from Aug. 15 through 6 a.m. on the last Saturday of September.
[signature]
Well thanks for the input. I'm disappointed conditions aren't better. I'm open for suggestions on where to go up there. I dropped my son off to college up there and wanted to take him out on the boat one last time. I was thinking maybe Hyrum but I don't want any difficulty launching the boat. After reading the post about the Kokes at the Gorge I wish that was closer.
[signature]
I haven't fished Hyrum lately but there have been several posts that say it's still fishing pretty well for bows and last I heard launching a boat was still a lot easier than Porcupine plus it's a lot closer to Logan. If I had time I would be giving Hyrum a shot. The bows at Hyrum were about the same size as the ones I caught at the Gorge last week. And Bear Lake is less than an hour away over the canyon and I seen several reports from last weekend showing the bite picking up. However, Labor Day means lots of boat traffic so fish early in the day. Good luck. J
[signature]
Thanks. I think I'll give Hyrum a try. Bear Lake is an adventure for another day.
[signature]
Wow I didn't know you could keep nonspawners. They still don't want you fishing the stream do they? I would think they would try and protect the spawning grounds. Well I guess the launch condition will still keep me away but might be fun in a toon. Later J
[signature]
I think that is a good call, Hyrum is fairly easy to figure out and not nearly as large. Last time I fished Hyrum depth was key have some way to get down to the fish and you will have some fun. I used a dodger and a worm about 14" behind. My lead line pole did better than the downrigger until about 9:30 then it reversed. We caught around 15 fish in 3 - 4 hours had a couple nice ones about 17". I don't fish for the bass but I've heard of some great bass caught there this summer plus they are even picking up some perch lately so you should have fun. Later J
[signature]
The stream is closed to fishing from August 15 to 6 a.m. the last Saturday in September.
[signature]
Thanks sorry I'm so lazy and don't pull that up myself but I always read it before I decide to go fish a spot. I just don't remember real well what I read for each location. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]
Concur - can't even harrass them in the inlet, and upstream. BUT you can even C&R a red fish, technically. But it's not a shutdown on fishing the lake. There's still Brown, Cutts, and younger Kokes that could be found. Bows, too?

Wow - so they're drawing THAT one down too? They were pumping the heck out of the outlet last I went there. There was some flow coming in, so hopefully they have enough to manage the swim up for the spawn! I'd bet if it's going down THAT fast - the shore is muddy mud mud!

As for Hyrum - been informed they've stopped drawing it down, and boats are still launchable. My boy went wake-boarding the other day - back tires of the trailer hit the end of the ramp, but they didn't have any problem. SURE my tug'd be fine. Been THAT close to taking a run there (xcept - I NEED some BIG CATS!)

They were the only boat after school, joined by a couple others, but doesn't sound to bad
Holiday weekend - likely to be different!!!

The bows will be active and energetic. Had good reports on Perch even! Seen some nice bass - if you know where to find 'em.
I appreciate the information. I'll be sure to post a report if it's worthy.
[signature]
Yote while i'm being lazy when does the catfish contest end? I don't think I'm going to be able to make it back out unless it goes into September a ways. Later J
[signature]