Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best 12 volt air pump for my Renegade?
I searched and only found some old info. Anyone use one of these 12 volt pumps?
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]I searched and only found some old info. Anyone use one of these 12 volt pumps?[/quote]One of what?
If you want a good pump, one that will inflate your Rene in under 3 minutes, get an LVM pump. It's over $100, but ours is going on 12 years now. That's a lot of inflated boats. It's a high volumn, low pressure pump. You'll still have to top it off with a hand pump.

Walton Marine has the best price on them.
[signature]
Do not get one with the built in air gauge. Or at least, don't trust it.
I had a friend that bought one of those yellow pumps and blew up two Scaddens.

Also get one with enough power it won't burn out. You will want to top it off with the K-Pump.
[signature]
It looks like it's between this one

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?p...rm=fr_1707

and this one

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1726

Which one do you guys have?
[signature]
The green one.....
Actually, it's made in the UK, not sure where these are made.
The Blast puts out 1.25 psi, the $139 one puts out 1.75 psi. Spend the extra scratch.

Do yourself a favor and call Walton Marine. They're off 5 East and 3000 So. Might be worth your while.
[signature]
You might look at the AIRHEAD pump it is 2.5psi.Me and 4 friends all have Daves renegades we do lots of 4- wheeling into mt. lakes they each have the nrs1.5 pumps and they do a great job but spendy and they always wont to use my pump it is fast and deflates LOTS faster than the nrs.But remember ALWAYS use a hand pump to top of your boat!! I got my airhead on ammazon for 69.00 used it on 4 boats 1or 2 times a week all summer it is great.
[signature]
I like the airhead because it has enough pressure to pump up low pressure tubes to correct pressure without having to top off with a manual pump. It is light and compact and costs less than the NRS. Probably the airhead will not hold up to heavy duty use as long as the NRS, though.

Pon

[quote water-walker]You might look at the AIRHEAD pump it is 2.5psi.Me and 4 friends all have Daves renegades we do lots of 4- wheeling into mt. lakes they each have the nrs1.5 pumps and they do a great job but spendy and they always wont to use my pump it is fast and deflates LOTS faster than the nrs.But remember ALWAYS use a hand pump to top of your boat!! I got my airhead on ammazon for 69.00 used it on 4 boats 1or 2 times a week all summer it is great.[/quote]
[signature]
I wanted to dig up this older thread to ask a few questions. Really this started for me at one of the first meetings that were had this past year with the local float tube club attempt that was made. In one of the first meetings we had a tube/toon show and tell and while there Flygoddess had one of her Scadden boats there to show and filled it up with a handheld 12v electric pump attached to a battery. I listened to her describe what she was doing to a few others and that included things like that she was intentionally not trying to use the pump to go to 100% full to avoid any risk to the craft and she instead used her k-pump to finish topping off the craft.

So with some funds I have burning a hold in my pocket, so to speak, I got looking around and saw the outcast blast pump and it reminded me of the above event. In looking for older posts on this topic I found this thread where you, Mojo, talked about getting a pump at the local shop and got wondering if that was the same pump I might have seen Flygoddess use at that event.

I did reach out to that local shot you listed but they seem to only offer pumps from "Bravo" or "Bravo by Scoprega".

So I'm bringing this thread to life again to ask others what they might choose to use to fill up to three or four float tubes up at the start of a days fishing that can get the job done fast enough to be worth the $, not overheat filling more then one craft, have a fair life expectancy, and any other points you think might be important to consider. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
The one Joni has is a LVM pump. It's a low pressure, high volumn pump for around $130+. The Chinese knockoffs are about $50+ last time I checked. If you can find one. Those only put out 1.75 psi. Thats why the topping off with a hand pump.
There is a newer one out, which you mentioned, Bravo BTP 12. It's expensive, but you can adjust it by turning the dial. If your boat requires 1.5 lb. turn the dial to that incriment and let it run. It'll stop at 1.5 lb.
With our NFO bladderless toon's set it at 4 lb. and it'll shut off at 4.
Gives you time to string up a rod, or other things that need to be done.
If you have an inflatable SUP that takes 15 lb. set it to that (max inflation pressure) and walk away. It'll shut itself off when it gets to the pressure you set it at. Biggest drawback- price $160 and up.
http://inflatableboats.com/12-Volt-Infla...-BTP12.htm
Here's a digital for a few bucks more- http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path...id=1611132
[signature]
[quote Hnaf]I wanted to dig up this older thread to ask a few questions. Really this started for me at one of the first meetings that were had this past year with the local float tube club attempt that was made. In one of the first meetings we had a tube/toon show and tell and while there Flygoddess had one of her Scadden boats there to show and filled it up with a handheld 12v electric pump attached to a battery. I listened to her describe what she was doing to a few others and that included things like that she was intentionally not trying to use the pump to go to 100% full to avoid any risk to the craft and she instead used her k-pump to finish topping off the craft.

So with some funds I have burning a hold in my pocket, so to speak, I got looking around and saw the outcast blast pump and it reminded me of the above event. In looking for older posts on this topic I found this thread where you, Mojo, talked about getting a pump at the local shop and got wondering if that was the same pump I might have seen Flygoddess use at that event.

I did reach out to that local shot you listed but they seem to only offer pumps from "Bravo" or "Bravo by Scoprega".

So I'm bringing this thread to life again to ask others what they might choose to use to fill up to three or four float tubes up at the start of a days fishing that can get the job done fast enough to be worth the $, not overheat filling more then one craft, have a fair life expectancy,

PON: How many chambers per tube and what kind of valves? The air mattress plug type valves will be the most challenging, because you cannot easily bypass the narrow input hole and check valve. Just about any LPHV impeller type pump, will work for quite a while if you can bypass the check valve, unless you will be doing this more than once a week. I have a 6 year old Wal Mart cheap $15 impeller (blower) type that is only used 5 consecutive days, 2X per year. But, I go around the check valves and only fill to limp, then top off with hand pump. If you will go thru a check valve with light resistance, like a boston, then something like a $40 airhead impeller pump will work faster to better firmness without losing a little air when you restore the check valve.

and any other points you think might be important to consider.

PON: If you want to do little or no hand pumping, then a pump that does not exceed your tube's maximum pressure (2 psi usually?) might be good. I have an 5 year old airhead that is used maybe 10X a year and has enough pressure to go thru a boston check valve and give quick and right firmness without using a hand pump. It would not be capable of bursting chambers if there is a malfunction, but the pump might burn if you leave it connected more than 10 minutes.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Hope my comments above are of some help.

Pon
[signature]
I have a scadden freestyle h3 that has 2 main chambers and then 2 seat chambers. They are HR valves for the 2 main chambers and I think the tube is rated to run at ~1.8psi (though my emails to northfork's aol.com have not been responded to to confirm this as max psi).

My motivation for this is I have a herniated disk in my back so I'm less flexible... I'm a "bit" on the fat side as well Wink so pumping up the tube (and now my son's as well) before each trip has me a bit worn out. So I'm simply looking into what options can be had, at what costs, and how well the might work out. Thanks for your input.
[signature]
I have used a couple of different 12v pumps. Most will work as long as you don't try to fill to pressure. Pump to firm with the 12v then finish it off with a two stroke hand pump.

This is the regular pump I usually use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF9...UTF8&psc=1
[signature]
I have seen that pump C. How is it pumping multi boats?

I sure like the new NFO pump. built in pressure gauge, so turn it on, the string you rods or put on your waders and it auto shuts of at set lbs.
[signature]
The most I have pumped up are the Renegade, a 9 foot pontoon, and a Fish Cat float tube one after the other. It didn't seem to have any problem. Usually it is just me so not really much wear and tear on a regular basis. I've had it about 3 or 4 years now.

I couldn't find a pump on the NFO's site that had the guage and an auto shutoff. Do you have info on it?

It would be nice to have one with the pump gauge, and to be automatic, but it isn't a big deal for me to babysit it either.
[signature]
This one
http://inflatableboats.com/12-Volt-Infla...-BTP12.htm

I know it looks like a lot of money, but we have the small canister style like in his accessories and we payed $129. 15 years ago and still going.
[signature]
That looks really nice! Maybe my next pump will have to be an upgrade. But I am hoping the cheapy holds out for a while yet. It's kind of hard to spend as much for the pump as I did for the Fish Cat 4! [shocked] [laugh] [laugh]
[signature]
Hnaf:

My WM inflator was converted to cordless by adding an inline 2 pole connector and 1 lb. cordless drill battery, so I could use it for remote areas. Having a lightweight lithium12v battery around is also useful for other applications when off the grid. Even when a 12v vehicle outlet is available, it seems easier without a cord when moving around between the 4 chambers per tube. My back seems to like it, anyway.

Here's a similar idea from a web search, but I am not endorsing the product since I have not used it:

http://www.morleyathletic.com/equipment/...flator.htm

Enjoy,

Pon

[quote Hnaf]I have a scadden freestyle h3 that has 2 main chambers and then 2 seat chambers. They are HR valves for the 2 main chambers and I think the tube is rated to run at ~1.8psi (though my emails to northfork's aol.com have not been responded to to confirm this as max psi).

My motivation for this is I have a herniated disk in my back so I'm less flexible... I'm a "bit" on the fat side as well Wink so pumping up the tube (and now my son's as well) before each trip has me a bit worn out. So I'm simply looking into what options can be had, at what costs, and how well the might work out. Thanks for your input.[/quote]
[signature]
I ended up with a $20 low volume low pressure pump from Sportsmans.

I plug it into the first toon and set up the K Pump and my oars. I move it to the second toon while I hook up and pump the K exactly 70 times. Then the second one is ready to be K Pumped. The seat section only takes a few seconds and needs as few as 20 K strokes to top it off.

With this set up being as quick and CHEAP as it is I will use it until I am too old to make the 70 K strokes needed per toon. Unless I get one of those nice ones for some gift giving occasion. i.e. fathers day. Hint-Hint < if my kids ever read this.
[signature]
70 pumps! Get a dual action[Wink] We do 15 to 20 pumps with the K to top our off.
[signature]
I have had a couple of Intex pumps that I use to fill my Renegade and a 12' pontoon raft--no problem filling both, and enough juice to empty the tubes when finished. it probably won't last 10 yrs, but it sells for around $30. Be sure you get the one that has the rechargable battery as well as the car charger and 120 volt charger. It is nice to not have to deal with cords when setting up It won't inflate to lake ready, so a few pumps will be needed to top off the tubes.
Good floating
[signature]