Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 9/7/12
Epic fail! I didn't catch a dang thing. I launched from the State Park marina, went straight across to Cisco beach, trolled a while, never graphed anything. Then I went back on the west side of the lake just south of the state park marina where a bunch of boats were stacked up. Barely graphed a few fish, never had a nibble or anything. Granted I only fished four about four hours total, but you'd hope I would have caught something! I'll stick with Bassin! Trolling is too boring for me.
[signature]
Wow, that is surprising, we marked a ton of fish yesterday, just not a lot of biters[Wink]. How close to shore were you trolling at Cisco beach? How often do you fish Bear lake? I will say that over the years I've had more than my fair share of shunks on that lake, so you are in good company. By the way, were you fishing with down riggers or lead core line?
[signature]
There was a really big "blow" up here on Thursday night. I fished the rockpile on Friday morning and we caught two really nice fish (11.5 and 12.5 lbs). We then moved over to Cisco Beach and caught 6 more fish in 75-95' of water. There were fish stacked up everywhere. I then went out on Saturday morning and only caught one fish! There were a LOT less fish on Cisco Beach on Sat. morning. I wonder if the wind on Thursday stacked those fish up along Cisco Beach? The calm weather on Friday may have dispersed them. Pretty crazy to think that in 24 hrs the fishing was like night and day. I only fished 2 hrs on Friday though. Oh, one other note about Friday. The fishing didn't really turn on until about 10:30am. It last about 2 hrs before it slowed down. Go figure that one out!
[signature]
I was there this weekend also. We caught a mac and a cuttie on Sat, both around 5 lbs, and struck out today. We marked a ton of fish off Gus ridge point this morning, but the fish we caught on Sat. were at Cisco. All in all, a beutiful lake and thanks Scott for the info. we will be back !!
[signature]
From the looks of your profile pic, maybe you were the only other boat that launched friday morning while I was there? I was in a white/green 18' Starcraft, I trailed that person out the marina. I'm peaved if you caught fish and I didn't[Wink]
[signature]
Yes, that was you right behind me. Sorry I didn't introduce myself.
[signature]
I was probably 100 yards from shore, I fished water depths of 100' to 160'. I was using lead core line. It was my first time fishing it, I wasn't counting on catching any big lakers, but I thought I'd at least be able to pick up a few cuts. Oh well, at least I can cross Bear lake off my list of waters to be fished.
[signature]
[quote HATH]I was probably 100 yards from shore, I fished water depths of 100' to 160'. I was using lead core line. It was my first time fishing it, I wasn't counting on catching any big lakers, but I thought I'd at least be able to pick up a few cuts. Oh well, at least I can cross Bear lake off my list of waters to be fished.[/quote]

At first when I started fishing the Bear, it was like a potluck. I didn't know anything about the lake. I felt a little discouraged when I caught a white fish. But that goes without not knowing the lake, its structure, and where to fish it. After a few trips there, I began picking up tips on how to fish Bear L. I mainly troll and have a arsenal sitting in 2 bags. I have had banner days catching fish since and there are those days I needed to stop off at the fish market to get a fish. [sly] I like fishing Bear this time of year with cooler weather in the mix, beautiful scenery with the fall colors,folks are starting to get ready for the hunting season which means less traffic on the lake and after the last summer holiday. Its hard to learn this lake in 4hrs. My suggestion is keep plugging away and don't get discouraged. Its FISHING. [fishin]
[signature]