Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation
My partner, Chad Miller and I finished 2nd at the 21st annual Starvation Walleye Classic last weekend. We have finished in second place 2 times in the last 3 years and in the top 6 each of the last 4 years, but just haven't quite been able to win it yet. This year there were 32 teams competing and the average is between 30 and 40 teams each year. We finished the tournament with 19.4 lbs as our 2 day total for 6 fish each day. We were in 4th place after day one and I caught a near 7 lb fish in the last 30 minutes of the second day that really helped us out allot as day 2 was a very tough day for us until that. An hour earlier I had another really big fish on and lost it before we could get it in the net. Talk about an emotional roller coaster! [pirate][cool]

Fishing had really slowed down from the last 2 to 3 weeks. Lot's of 10 to 13 inch fish being caught now that were not as common when the bite was hot a couple weeks ago. We did catch a 4 1/2 pounder on day 1 and then the near 7 pounder on day 2 but lots of 11 to 13 inchers in between!

The fish are scattered all over the lake with fish being caught on everything from trolling cranks to pulling spinners bottom bouncing, to deep jigging. Most of the succesful teams were doing several different techniques to get a limit of weighers. Everyone struggled but that is pretty normal for Starvation this time of year. I do think the low water this year is impacting this some as well, but it seems like every year that the walleye fishing there is hot in August and as soon as September rolls in it slows way down.
[:/]
We caught allot of very big perch and found most of the big ones to be solitary cruisers in 25 to 35 feet of water caught pulling spinners for walleye. I wish we could have weighed a few of those perch as they were heavier than some of the 12 inch walleye we weighed.

There are allot of very large walleye in Starvation now in fantastic condition. Those fish are very fat once they get over the 17 to 18 inch mark. I believe this is when they reach a large enough size that they can really eat the larger perch. Had several 5 to 7 inch perch puked up in live wells this weekend!
Congratulations to our friend [url "http://www.facebook.com/jason.liljestrand"]Jason Liljestrand[/url] for catching the big fish of the tournament with a 8.5 lb walleye!
Here are a couple pictures from the event.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Congrats Tod! Way to score a big fish when it counts[Wink].
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Congratulations and commiserations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The former on winning second...again. The later for not taking first.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Something to be said for consistency I guess.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad about losing the other big fish that might have helped put you over the top.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Always next year. Right?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Mike. As always I sure did enkoy spending some time with you and Dave. It's mostly the people and the friends around that event that keep me coming back year after year!

George Sommers and Paul did an awesome job once again putting on this event. I don't think they get enough recognition for the outstanding job they do organizing and running this tournament.

Take care my friend and best of luck with your hunts this fall. Hopefully we'll get a chance to fish together again before next spring.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Thank you TD, on both accounts.
There's definately something to be said for consistency but it still takes a bit of luck to land a big fish. That's what we always hope for is just to keep ourselves in postition so if we do get lucky and nail a big one it might be enough.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
[cool][#0000ff]No doubt about it. LUCK is always a factor in any kind of fishing. We have all seen first time fishermen catch the biggest fish, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But it definitely helps if you have enough skill, knowledge and experience to put yourself in a position to get lucky. Fishing in the right place, the right way, will certainly increase the odds that you will get lucky.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You and Chad earn whatever luck you get. You have put in the study and the hours on the water to put yourselves high up on the learning curve. When you hit the water you can forego a lot of the wondering and searching that lesser experienced tanglers have to go through each trip. The more productive time you spend in the right spots...fishing the right stuff...the more chances you get for a smooch from Lady Luck. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What is the difference between luck and skill? If YOU catch a big fish it is skill. If somebody else catches that same fish it is luck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's a paraphrase of the old definition of the difference between problem and disaster. If your fishing buddy loses his rod overboard, that is a problem. If you lose YOUR rod it is a disaster.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Again, congratulations. You guys rock. And special kudos to those who bring off that big event every year. It really is a Classic.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=770853;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#"]Congratulations[/url] Todd, sounds like you guys did good with some tough conditions. That big eye your holding has some shoulders on it, looks like it has been eating well. If you don't mind sharing, what did you catch it on?
[signature]
Unfortunately it wasn't a KCT spinner and my partner would kill me if I said what it was exactly. Sorry... [:/]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Congrats to both you and Chad, I see that Cabelas was a sponsor for the tourney, too bad they couldn't help out with the DAV event last month, gave away too many trucks last year I guess . I may have to change where we have been buying the biggest share of our outdoor gear for the past 30 years. Once again congrats.[fishin]
[signature]
Congrats to you and Chad. We enjoyed visiting with you guys all weekend. The highlight for me was the Aggies pulling off the win! See ya next year.
BTW - you have one nice boat![Wink]
[signature]
Thanks Kurt, sorry we didn't get to spend a little more time drinking beer together.Next year, my friend...
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Good going you guys! The Starvation gods Smiled upon you----again[Wink]
Wish I could have been there but it was not in the cards this year. Too many projects around the house and deer and antelope tags needing to be filled.
We are going to really try to make it next year. Deb and I sure miss all you guys.
It will be good to see all of the tourney crew at the lake again.
Besides you need some more competition[:p]
[signature]
The wife and I will be comming thru your town on 31 Oct. for our annual WY. hunt. Hope there are some critters left in our area. I know they had a long, hot, dry summer. [fishin]
[signature]
It would be great to see you both again as well. I'll take that as a promise!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water