Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass on poppers?
Bass on popper? I just got a rebel pop-r is it good ? I got it because people said it was so is it and how to use it walk the dog?
[signature]
Three of the biggest bass I have ever caught are not only on a rebel pop-r, but the same rebel pop-r

I don't work them fast, I try to make it look like a baby fish slurping up bugs.

[inline chunkybass.jpg]
[signature]
I have been having the most fun of my fishing life using these this summer. I just throw it out near what looks like a good spot. Where I fish right in front of the reeds at the edge of the lake are best I've also had success if there are weed beds under water throwing this right over the top of them. . After I throw it out I let it sit for a few seconds, and then give it a quick little jerk, Then let it sit for a second or two and give it another quick little jerk. Repeat this until you get it back to the boat then cast again. Sometimes letting it sit for a few seconds after casting it is best other times just giving it a little jerk right when it hits the water is best. Probably 80% of my strikes come within the first 5 or 10 seconds after I've thrown it out.

It is a huge thrill to watch the bass come up to the top of the water and engulf the popper!! Good luck and hope to hear how you do.
[signature]
Heres the small Rebel,so fun I got three sm,med,large.
I remember when I first fished it as a young boy.
I casted out and got a knot,all a sudden I hear a bass jump ..Fish on and it was just sitting there bobing up and down with the waves..

[#008000]I like to pop,pop,pop,stop,repeat,sometimes one pop,wait,pop,wait,pop,
Or three quick pops and a pause repeat[Wink]
even a steady retrieve while popping on the GO![/#008000]
Enjoy..
One day I had a huge Bass on like a 6 and spit the large size popper,still haunts me
[signature]
My biggest smallmouth came a popper, however I really enjoy walking the dog with a Zara spook. The trick with both baits is to wait till you feel the fish, I get all wound up and set the hook when I see green lips. Topwater is pretty stressfull on old fat guys.

Tight lines!
[signature]
I LOVE that popper, but I believe any popper will have the same results! Here's a pic...see attached.
[signature]
Poppers are great! my new favorite fishing is poppers on a fly rod. Not exactly the same as that but it's a blast to see a bass hit the topwater! I've also done well with that exact lure as well! Good luck!
[signature]
A lot of poppers can walk the dog. The best way is to use a pencil popper like a Lucky Craft Gunfish as it pops and spits, but walks easily. Smaller poppers can do it too though. You have to use a slightly slack line and get the cadence just right. It takes some practice, but it's a fun way to fish once you get it.

I second the fun of poppers on the fly rod. I've found that a lot of the time, pencil poppers work better for me. They're meant more for saltwater, but I've found the bass like them too.
[signature]
There is no better bite than a topwater bite. Lol, be careful, you're traveling down a dangerous road. Once you get your first biggun' on a topwater you'll be hooked.
Poppers are sit, pop, pop-pop-pop, sit, subject to change. Walk the dog baits are like Lucky Craft Sammys or Spooks, twitch the rod while reeling and it goes back and forth. Some topwaters can pop and walk the dog but that's another story. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.
[signature]
Glad I found this thread. I just bought a couple to try some top-water bass fishing on UL as the temperature cools (I really cannot stand it there when it is in it's July-September STINK mode).

I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for the lessons all.
[signature]
BFTers correct me if I'm wrong but more fish will be caught on a top water lure in clear water than would a murky body of water. Yes bass are caught on top water lures at UL, but it's a tough bite.

I'd also like to add that a popper, IMHO, is for popping, get something like the Zara spook for walking the dog. As for action, I think either will work, when a bass commits, it's on and I don't think the bass sits and thinks to himself "do I want a popper type bait fish for lunch or some weird bait fish that seems to dart back and forth". All I'm saying is, just like the color of a lure doesn't usually matter, neither does the action. If top water baits are going to work, you could throw a floating turd out there with a hook on it and a fish will bite. When fish are hungry, they'll bite anything. There are times through a season that different presentations are needed, but when top watering is in it's peak, anything thrown will get a bite! This may catch some grief, but this has been my experience, and I'm not trying to speak for anyone else.
[signature]
[quote HATH]BFTers correct me if I'm wrong but more fish will be caught on a top water lure in clear water than would a murky body of water.[/quote]

now before i begin, when i say popper, im talking about poppers for fly fishing only... that said. i have caught a dozen or so bass up in ID in murky water, right next to shore with a popper on a 6 weight. could have been a fluke however as i have also got musky on top water bigs in crystal clear water, same with pike. i have also been fortunate enough to nail quiet a few trout in "pea soup" water. maybe tha was all just right time right place stuff.
[signature]
I don't know bud, one of my favorite topwater places has dirty water. I don't know how they dial in on it but sometimes it's a frog, sometimes its a buzzbait, sometimes it's a popper. Sometimes it's black, green, white, purple, fast, slow pause, sit, dead stick. It's never just throw something out there and if they are hungry they will eat it. If the color of the lure or action didn't matter we would all be bass fishermen [Wink].
[signature]