Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7wt or 8wt?
Now I am Confused. They make Grain line in sinking and in floating. I use a 230 grain Sage floating on my 6 wt and 8 wt for Carp.
But I use a 300 and a 350 Depth Charge and KG Streamer line that is 70 feet of intermediate line into 30 feet of the grain weighted. For a 6 wt. 250 to 300 grain is recommended, but I prefer the 350, but I too use deep 7.

Again, I thought big rods were for big flies, cause I am using a 6 wt to land 36" trout and Carp but I am using small flies. When I use the Butt Monkey or Sex Dungeon, 6 can work, but an eight is nicer.
Never thought of heavy rods for getting down deep fast, cause you can do that with any weight rod. Sorry if I miss read your reply.
[signature]
Jeremy Hunt is stating he needs a 9 wt. rod to throw the 450 gr. line.All I am saying is, Kelly Galloup has his view and Jeremy Hunt has his. I find them both valid. I am not addressing big rods for big flies.I am addressing JH method for getting quickly into the strike zone. I hope this helps.
[signature]
I am going to offer a different solution...

5 wt Echo SR or Sage One Switch Rod. It will fish like a 6 or 7 wt when thrown one handed and when thrown two handed it will have the power and backbone to launch a big ass articulated streamer 70 - 80 feet. It would be a great versitile fresh water rod. And the added length makes it a high stickin mad man when indicator fishing. I would load it up w/ 325 grain Rio Switch line.

I have a 4-wt SR and unless I am doing delicate Dries it has become my go to rod. Never leave home with out it.
[signature]