Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Yabba Dabba Doo!!! Sun-Mon
[Image: logo4.jpg]

Yuba - Awoke at 4am and didn't get out the door till 5:45am. I was shocked to see that the bridge is out across the dam. Spoke to a DNR guy that said it will be out for 2 months. Oh well I have 2 motors for my pontoon now. Sure enough these 2 hispanic guys launching there boat started asking "you been here before", "you've caught pike", "where" (I didn't say), "what lure" (I said rapalas), "what kind of rapalas", (I said think perch) and then they demanded to see my tackle box! Nope that aint gonna happen!

So an hour later and a bad motor mount I shot for the long distance trek to the pike zone. Sure enough 3rd cast resulted in a 27.5 inch pike! So I took it in the net to the beach, hit it in the head with a rock, and spoke with a shore tangler that I wound up giving a free steel leader.

Well the annoying guys took notice of where I was and shot over to me at 35mph. They once again demanded to see the lure and even pulled up within 5 feet of me to touch the lure. Then it got a tad out of line. They started asking "you trolling" (nope), "you casting to the bank" ( I replied yep), "are you going fast",(kind of) "are you going slow", "are you pausing", "will this lure work", and finally they told me to beach my toon and join them at the narrows. Nope not leaving $1,000 worth of gear on the shore!

So I carried on and got a 24.5 inch pike and a 22 inch pike and then the dreaded wind started! So from 1pm to 4pm I took a nap, ate lunch at Oasis, and bought sunglasses at Saqouia. Then catcherman saw the text of the pike and shot out to yuba within a hour.
[Image: 814763.JPG]

Then those guys came back to the marina. Holy cow they asked to see the lure again and what the packaging looked like. Then they even wanted to take the packaging home with them.

Well Catherman and I went back while I threw on my 30lb thrust motor. The mount had lots of trouble and it was hard for me to keep steady. Catcherman was on the worlds smallest Kayak and beat me to the pike zone. He lost one and I lost one pike. On the way back in near dark I was struggling wth the crappy mount. I looked like a dog chasing it's own tail! Worse yet my net fell off the toon and sank to the bottom of davey Jones's Locker. Ugh that had me more than a bit ticked off!!!!!

So I cleaned the pike and had enough of a heart to share it with catcherman since he didn't bring any food. We ate it pan fried in peanut oil at West Beach. Pretty sure we were the only campers at north and west beach that night.

Catcherman started getting into carp and got 15 to shore.
[Image: 814765.JPG]

I managed 1. I guess the smaller hooks work better on smaller carp.
[Image: 814767.JPG]

Sunday - Woke up late (on purpose) at 7:30pm and when we launched we were the only guys on the water. Well catcherman lost a pike but I managed a 24 incher and had a few bites.
[Image: 814768.JPG]
[Image: 814771.JPG]

We went back to the marina for lunch and catcherman decided to dive to get a burger. That turned into him just going home. Well more pike for me!!!! I motored to my spot again and just got 1 bite on the 1st cast. So I hit the beach to save battery power and almost lost my toon to the wind! No love there so I just took a 2 hour nap and waited out the wind. Sure enough the wind gave out and I got back out there. I snagged at mirrior carp that promptly got the head bashing.

Then I managed a 27.75 inch pike. As I was bashing it over the head to get my lure back and put it on the stringer it was still squirming!!!! Well I looked down the gullet and a bit of fin was sticking out! I squeezed the belly of the pike and out came a 10 inch mirrior carp that was still alive!!!!!
[Image: 814773.JPG]

I thought about releasing it but nah I beat it over the head severly and threw it in the water. The seaguls enjoyed it. Well the wind got bad again and it was getting late to I headed to the marina to troll and fininsh out the battery. Managed to lose one 17 inch pike at the toon and then I managed a 28 inch pike! Hell of a 1st fish for trolling!
[Image: 814774.JPG]
[Image: 814775.JPG]
[signature]
Too bad about the net. You might consider putting some of that foam pipe insulation from any hardware store on the handle 3/4 in works on a lot of nets. Then you have a floating net. You can also use a couple 3" pieces cut off one of those water weenie floats. You have more patience than I do with your friendly, nosey fishermen. Looks like you had another good pike outing at Yuba.
[signature]
Yeah Catcherman made the floating suggestion. Yep that is going to happen. Luckily I always bring a spare net but it is pretty small for pike. Since I lost mine I took the spare away from Catcherman since he had forgotten his net.

I have never felt so hassled by another fisherman. Jeeze did they really think I was going to tell them the spot I was headed for? Like I was going to be perfectly fine with them fishing it for an hour before I could even get there?

At one point I was going to say "Yeah well how about I catch them for you, net them for you, gut them, fry them, and eat them for you too! Now go out there and catch them yourselves!"

Well I guess I was just too nice. I am always willing to share tactics but this was a bit over the line.

My goal is to get down there again but my twin has the car Wed-Sat as he has a Uinta camping trip planned. We shall see if I can get someone to take me down there!
[signature]
I was fishing for walleye years ago at the Y near Lincoln point. Both my son and I were doing fairly well. we were 2 fish shy of a limit and decided to get out of the water for a coffee break..A guy asked how we were doing. I said we were doing ok. He ask if we had any walleye. I said yeah we have a couple. He actually walked over and opened our cooler. He said that is more than a couple. He got on his cell phone and within 30 min we had 15 new best friends so we called it a night. Some folks can be gutsy.
[signature]
Looks like everytime you go down there you pull out more and more Northerns.......could the fishing be picking up, the fish cooperating more or the skills advancing? Either way I might and I want to stress might.......just have to get down there again.

Great pictures of those toothy critters....never get tired of seeing em!

If those nosey anglers would have asked me who, what, when, where, why, how I woulda just said....."in the middle of the lake, dead sticking a brown trout rapala is how I get ALL my fish".

There is a line when the questions get to be too much....perhaps they were just too demanding.
[signature]
Me thinks you gottum wrong Flintstone. You beeda more Bam Bam dan Fred or Barney.

You should give those guys exact GPS coordinates, to the OTHER side of the lake! You could just tell 'em to come read your posts and they'd plenty of info, no?
You could tell 'em to use a blue fox, but that might work.

I was thinnin you could just give em a piledriver drop on your Yabba Doo, and that'd probably bleed 'em out dontcha think?
And - what - no fresh fried carp? Get Bold buddy! (haha)

If them boyz had enough room - you coulda tossed your tube in and got a quick ride over. I think if I ever don a tube - I'm tying tethers onto my poles and such.
Almost lost my net, and first musky to the lake. At least I didn't drop the camera! Course the musky was twice the size of my net.
Where to begin?

Yes Bam Bam was what I did to the pike to get the lure out and attach them to the stringer. Still I did run my fingers accidently along the teeth and it made me yelp out loud? Is that "YOL" in the texting world? The carp from the night session got a morning trip to the fish cleaning station grinder!

I did tell them to go to the narrows. Yeah that is 5 miles of a walk from the dam. Should have gotten them away from me by a few miles. BUT NO! These guys hung around till I launched and followed me to my spots.

As for reading my reports on the pike latley. Nah that aint gonna help them too much. The lures, tactics, and locations have changed man and my old reports are useless. So did you see the lure in the pics...nope.

I think if I am going to try carp I should try some by Tube Dude or maybe those asians I see keeping them all the time.

There is NO WAY my toon would fit in most boats. That thing is so dam heavy it is unreal. I had to shame-fully ask a bank tangler to get my toon in the water on the 1st day. Lesson learned, always set up as close to the water as possible.

Man and the list of stuff I forgot...
1- Sunglasses (bought some at seqouia which is weekends only now)

2- Digital Scale (the one with the 10 inch carp stuffed in it would have weighed nicely)

3 - Butter (needed for the pan fried pike. Bought that at Sequoia)

So they charged me $20 (14 for the glasses and $6 for the butter) and felt like I deserved free ice. What nice fellas in there.
[signature]