Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical work
I cant seem to get any power to my fish finder anymore. Its a old boat from 1964 and Im not the greatest at wiring. Anyone have any suggestions at how I can test to see why im not getting power. I know they have those things you can test to see if its got power just not sure how to use them maybe iLL just have to go pick one up, I might just have to rewire the the fish finder. Can I run a wire straight to the battery? that might be the easiest thing to do.
[signature]
Have you checked the fuse for your finder? It is usually located within a foot or two of the battery but it could be within a few feet of the finder display. Did you install the finder yourself or was it installed on the boat when you bought it? Have you checked on both sides of the power cable? Is it connected all the way to the display? Try wiggling the plug at the display or go to where it connects to the battery and check to see it there is a good connection there. There could be corrosion at the battery that might be the problem. Hope that helps but if all else fails, you can run a new power wire to the battery as long as you have a fuse in between.
[signature]
I installed it myself and has worked fine now it does not work. Im sure all the wiring is bad but for now Ill just run it directly to the batttery. It plugs into a cigarette lighter now, which goes to a fuse panel and then to the battery. I think I need to redo all the wiring and gauges this winter though. thanks for the help WH.
[signature]
If you had it plugged into a cigarette lighter socket, an easy way to check if you have power, is to put the lighter back in and see if it still heats up. If it still heats up, then the only two things it could be is either you burned up the display unit or there is a fuse between the cigarette lighter and the display unit that is blown and that would be a simple fix. One other thing, is it possible the power cable got wraped around the steering linkage and wire got cut?
[signature]
I checked the fuse in the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter and it looks good ill try a acutal cigarettte lighter and see what happens, thanks again for the help
[signature]
Be sure the contacts in the lighter socket & on the plug are clean. Those lighter sockets have a way of corroding. Take some fine emery paper, wrap it around your finger and scrub the inside of the socket, then get a piece over the end of your finger and scrub the he-- out of the contact in the center bottom of the socket. Clean the plug the same way.

Good luck
[signature]