Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versatip vs various lines
So I'm trying to decide on either investing in a versatip line, around 150 bucks, or buying additional spools and lines. The spools would be on a Ross evolution lt 3 which run about 160 a pop. Have any of you used a versatip and what are your opinions on it? And what would you do?
[signature]
I have some. Have had it for many years but rarely use it. I bought it for my eight weight and big rivers. The heads are 15' long. Good enough for some applications.
I bought it so I only need one reel as, at the time I rarely used eight weight.
The cons are the connections can and will get hung up in the tip top, And for stillwater, you really need more than that 15'.

There are lines out with built in sink tips that are smooth and flow smooth.

I prefer a full sinking line with Density compensated sinking uniformly and wet cell for weedy bottoms.

You could make it work, but I find it lacking. I do feel it important to have all the sink rate lines that the multi tip come with, and I am sure this could work better on rivers.
[signature]
FG - How does the versitip joint turn over compared to a loop to loop joint? I am thinking Spey so everything is a modified roll cast. With sinking tips sometimes there is a wierd hingle point in the loops and the fly goes.......

Kerrrrplunk

Not that it matters with a big ass, bead head, egg suckin leach, thingy.
[signature]
It is a loop to loop. No hinging at all. I think Cabelas has them on sale too. I'm not sure if it's in the two hander weights though. I've been using the VT on one of my 8 wts.
On sale at Cabelas-$80, but only in a 4,5 and 10 wt sizes

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F...t105553080
[signature]
Like Mojo said, I have the 7 he has the 8 in the spey. We tried it on the snake with not hinging.
But we also have the Orvis 8 wt multi tip line.
I think it has something to do with the size of the loops. Bigger loops, less hinging effect.
[signature]
Have you looked at just getting something like the cortland minitip kit http://www.fishusa.com/Cortland-Mini-Head-Kits_p.html
I looked at the versatip many years ago and went with something along the lines of this minitip. I can't recall the brand I purchased. Even though it worked fine and I didn't have issues with casting I just never bother to use it much.
[signature]
That is cool. But basically like some said about using an old sinking line. Nice that it is a kit. I got some old Type VII I made sink tips in 6' and 9' lengths. Works pretty good and much easier to cast than split shot!
I use to buy some from Cabela's that were 5'. They helped.
And where you fish rivers. The floating portion can make it easy to mend. I just got in the habit of Kelly Galloup's style with full sink, but I remember back where all the above suggestions work fine.
I have about 6' of Type VII left I can make a sink tip for you by adding loops to the ends, if you are interested.

OH, one more thing about the Orvis Multi tip and not sure if they are all like this, but the kit contains 3 different sink rate lines, and a floating head. You need that head to get the taper, and that is the part I hated the most.
[signature]
OK, I got a 500 grn, Short Head Skagit, Versi for the new 7 wt One 12-6. WOW!! The line combined witht he rod is pure! I can easily shoot 80-ft. The turn over seems good. However, I have only played in the Jordan and at Willow. Off to One Fly in DJ, Thursday. I am going to play with it there.
[signature]
HUH? I caught "part" of what you said...LOL
I got my Echo spay and some Rio line...where is a good place to play? Strawberry, Daniels? Moving water would be nice, but Snake is a bit far.
[signature]
I will go slow for those who ride the sort bus... ;-)

I bought a Sage One Spey Rod - 7wt, 12'-6" long.
I have two set ups: a Rio Short Head Skagit Versitip, 500 Grain line. And, a Rio Scandi 460 Grain.

The Sage One is an amazing rod. I like it much better than the Echo DH. Very fast, and very light.

Both of the set ups (Sage / Rio Skagit / Scandi) are very nice. The line seems to turn over easily and will shoot 80 feet w/o difficulty. However at this point I have only played with the combo in the Jordan River, and at Willow Pond. I am going to the One Fly event in Dutch John. I hope to find some time to play with my new toys, in faster water, while there.

=============>

Water is meant to be dynamic and moving. Not bottled up in some reservior. JMHO
[signature]
Okie Doklie[Smile]
[signature]