Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
youth opener
Took my 12 year old bro out on the youth opener ( he's 16 years younger than I). We did really well. Didn't see as many ducks as usual but we were just hunting a little out of the way spot not one of the main marshes. First duck he killed was a banded drake mallard. How's that for luck. Ended up with 3 gaddys 2 mallards 1 blue wing teal and 1 green wing. After my dad took him home I went for a seven mile slog through the marsh scouting some of my favorite spots. My go to spot from last year has less water and more growth. There were about five hundred resident mallies, but absolutely no other ducks. Last year it had thousands so hopefully they'll show up after they see some pressure.
[signature]
What a horrible way to ruin a kid! Now he'll think he should shoot a band every time! Cant wait to get me one of those tho..
By the way, chances are that what you shot was not a blue wing teal, but rather an immature cinnamon teal. They look identical this time of year except the blue wings are all (with only a very few exceptions) in texas by now.

Congrats on a great hunt!
[signature]
I had the chance to take out my buddy and his 13 year old nephew for his first duck hunt ever. It was a blast he shot 78 shells and killed 6 birds. 1 Drake redhead, 1 greenhead, 1 drake widgeon, and 1 green wing, and 2 cinnamon teal. No shot was taken of 25 yards. He just could not connect on the last bird. He killed 4 in his first 20 shots.

My buddy's brother-in-law called him Sunday and said what did you do to my son. He has not stopped talking about how awesome duck hunting is since he got home yesterday.

That's what it is all about.
[signature]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats awesome!!! I still remember my first duck hunt and goose hunt and thats EXACTLY how i was....
[signature]
Good for your brother on the youth hunt.

" They look identical this time of year except the blue wings are all (with only a very few exceptions) in texas by now."

I had a Blue Wing Teal successfully nest in my front yard last year. 7 ducklings.
In Southern Utah.
[signature]
No kidding? get any pictures? I've only ever seen them in the spring, a full plumage drake blue wing is an awesome looking bird!
[signature]
No picks of the Blue Wing, but here is a pic of my front yard.
[Image: 2011deer144.jpg]
[signature]
wow, you're a lucky man! get many waterfowl on that pond?
[signature]
I did find a photo of a Blue Wing that I took, though it is not the one that nested in my yard. You are right a female Blue Wing and Cinnamon can be hard to tell apart. Look for the roman nose like a Canvas Back and that will tell you it is a Cinnamon.
[Image: bluewing0032-1.jpg]

Here is a couple of shots off the porch and a Golden Eagle duck hunting out on the lake.
Honkers ,,
[Image: minersvillemarch2010620.jpg]
Snows
[Image: minersvillemarch20101002.jpg]
Ducks
[Image: minersvillemarch2010825.jpg]
[signature]
HOLY COW! uhh...you don't happen to need good natured, experienced waterfolwers to hunt with late season...do you?
[signature]
Fishjon, Sorry for hijacking your thred.

Fish or Die check your PM.
[signature]