Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help my dad shoot a cow elk..PLEASE!!!
So, my aging dad has for many years been one of those guys who LIKES to hunt, but is too responsible to actually get out. He's a one man Elders Quorum, if you know what I mean. Always got his plate full with people and needs...

Well, he's starting to regret it. He turned 71 in June, and he just realized he only has a few good seasons left, and is talking alot about all the stuff we wanted to do, but never got to.

When the extra cow tags were allotted, I just bought him one, cuz taking an elk is on his bucket list, and he's never even hunted them. South Slope, Yellowstone area.

I'm planning on trying Blind Stream Canyon area over by Hanna/Tabiona area, and I'm scouting there tomorrow, and around Upper Stillwater Res. but I'd love suggestions. I remember seeing some cows, like 18 years ago up there somewhere.

He's got good hiking legs, but only has a .30-.30 to shoot, and packing out an elk will be my job, mostly. We have decent little SUV's, but don"t own ATV"s or anything. It's his hunt. My tag is elsewhere...

Anybody got ideas? We could work out a trade or labor for intel or access to private land. I make pretty decent wood bows.

Thanks, guys....
[signature]
Looking at the boundary map for that area, I think Blind Stream is probably your best bet. Too bad you're not on the south side of the highway, I could definitely put you on one. Good luck.
[signature]
Hey, thanks. That's a start. We took what we could get when the extra tags came out, having failed to draw out on the regular cow hunt.
[signature]
Well, scouted Blind Stream for several miles today and it's a total bust. It had rained hard, but even so, not one track, call or dropping spotted. Did get a nice Ruff with the old .410.

Soapstone Mountain? Around Wolf Creek?
[signature]