Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 09-28-12
Had my best day at Willard in over a month today. WiperMac was nice enough to invite me out to Willard to fish with him on his boat. I met him at the North marina at 7am and we headed out shortly there after. Trolling my normal spots with the 50/50 method with no luck at all until after noon when the switch turned on and the catching began. We ended up with over 10 of the smaller wipers with one double, we lost many others before we got them in, including one bigger wiper. One of the wipers pucked up a couple of shad, pic attached. We were still getting bites when we left at 3pm. It was a great day on the Bay, thanks Trevor. I hope it is just the beginning of the fall bite.
WH2
[signature]
Nice report Curt, have you tried the weights i gave you yet?
[signature]
Awesome! Are you still on track for 100?
[signature]
Thanks Jason. I haven't used the weights you gave me yet because I haven't had to replace the ones I had.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=rctalbot"]rctalbot[/url]- Still on track, this trip was fishing trip number75. Thanks for asking.
[signature]
Just logged on to give a recap of the days events and it looks like WH2 already beat me to it. All I can say is ditto. It was one of those days on the bay that make a wiper junkie grin ear to ear and keep one coming back, slow trip after slow trip.

I caught fish, learned a new trick (50/50), and gained a new friend all in one day. If only all days was this good!!! Thanks again Curt, we'll definitely need to get out and do that again.
[signature]
Sweet. Great Day. I too had the privelidge of fishing with WiperMac at the DAV. couldn't ask for a nicer fishing pal. Hope to get out with him again someday.
[signature]
Oh sure. One o'clock is when I gave up and left...fishless.

Figures, huh?
[signature]
1pm might be the time they turned on[Wink], I remember looking at the time and saying to Trevor something about this trip being a bust. We were talking about it being close to a full moon and the cold front had gone through a few days earler and the water was murky, not 15 mins later they started biting[Smile]. I will say that we found some slightly clearer water and that is where the fish were biting. It looks like the dredging operation is finially done and if that is what was causing the murky water, maybe it will clears up, so the boils will begin[cool]. I guess we will fine out soon. Yesterday was some calm conditions, perfect for boils but we sure didn't see much of any surface activity.
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words, always nice to spend the day on the water with new friends. Now that I know which ripnlip I fished with I can send you the dimensions of those planer boards. [Smile]
[signature]
I made a good bino search and saw that there were hundreds of grebes and other birds all along the north dike. Figuring that's where the shad must be and where there was a better chance of clearer water, I pedaled over there. All the boats were down south of the north marina, out from the hump, but I had no luck there either.

The surface was sure scummy. There were a bazillion carp absolutely gorging on whatever it was. My kayak is so quiet I actually bumped a few of them while they were so engrossed in feeding.
[signature]
I guess that is why WiperMac keeps a bow in his boat, when catching is slow, just pull out the bow and you'll never be skunked at Willard again[Wink].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I guess that is why WiperMac keeps a bow in his boat, when catching is slow, just pull out the bow and you'll never be skunked at Willard again[Wink].[/quote]

Gets frustrating to see all them carp jumping all around. But does tend to distract from serious cattin sometimes. I've had plenty a carp spook or bump boat as I've passed over. Had one on a "bail out run" that slammed my boat once. Wish I'd had a spear handy!

Sounds like a nice trip out. Good you didn't bail at noon!

So no eyes this round? Were you using the UV blades?

If ya'll's ever need a mate to "swab the decks' - love to try. Got a mindset to chase some local eyes on the river...
UV blades did not work on this trip. By the way John, do you ever check your voice mail?
[signature]