Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bilge pump issue
So I was loading my boat with some gear when I could hear the hum of my bilge. I was no where near my bilge switch and when I removed the cap to look in where the bilge pump is I could see maybe a 1/4" of water. I sucked out the water and re-connected the bilge to the battery and it still wanted to continuously run. Have you guys had it to where you're bilge runs for no reason? This is a mystery to me.
[signature]
There are two different bilge pumps, manuel and automatic. It sounds like yours is an automatic and the switch that turns it on is either, not working properly or something has caused it to stick causing it to run non stop. If your bilge pump is the manuel type, where you need to flip a switch to turn it on, then either your switch is shorted out or something is touching the switch, across the contacts. Either way, if it keeps running it will run your battery down but I'm sure you know that. Hope that helps.
[signature]
Yeah it'll turn on automatically or at the flip of a switch. The funny thing is my battery was run down last week and I didn't know why. Maybe this is why, but I still don't know why that thing is wanting to turn on. I'll go flush some water through there with my hose and see if that'll clean off the contacts.

When I flip on the manual switch it's like the pump goes into stage two. I don't get it.
[signature]
You might need to take it out to get a closer look at it, if flushing out doesn't help. I'm guessing something is caught in the float part of the pump, causing it to think there is water in the boat.
[signature]
Dr dr dr, I pulled the pump out to find that there was still some motor turning on and it wasn't the bilge. What could it be? The live well pump. I apparently had bumped the switch while I was at the front of the boat earlier in the day. Stupid. But hey, I didn't have to spend any money to fix this stupid problem[blush]
[signature]
I have a bilge and two livewell pumps in my boat. I just recently had to replace both livewell pumps. I would guess that is it, what boat do you have? What type of system/pumps? I was lucky enough the heads came off mine so I didn't have to worry about pipe changes. I have Rule Pumps.
[signature]
No the funny thing was, nothing was malfunctioning (except for my brain). I had accidently bumped the live well pump switch. Turn the switch off, the problem was remedied. But this was all after I had pulled the bilge pump out.
[signature]
Well that is not nearly as bad as forgetting to put your plug in before you launch. When that happens you know you made a mistake a lot quicker[Wink]. Good to hear it was nothing serious.
[signature]