Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton 9/29 (and a monster cat out of there)
Andiibart and myself went out to Newton yesterday from about 7:30-12:30. Deepest part of the lake was 13.5 feet. The water clarity was better than it has been in a while. It still isn't clear by any means, but it is as good as I have seen it in a few months. Water temps were 62 when we got there and 66 when we left. We fished for bass with plastics again, and the catching wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as it has been in past weeks, but we still had a good time catching fish.

I always launch my boat on the west side. Those of you who have been out there know where I am talking about. The point right there on the west side is great for launching the little boats. However, when we got there yesterday morning, there was an older man who had set up camp right there. We did talk to him and we were still able to launch right there. He said he was out there trying to get the catfish and that he couldn't get them to bite. Andy told him there weren't too many in there, and his reply was "you guys must not come out here much. I have been fishing this for over 20 years. I once caught a 35 1/2-incher that weighed 36 pounds out of here."

Uh huh. I know they were in there, and I know they stocked some more in there. But I am not buying that for a minute. We saw the same guy hook up a muskie. It jumped out of the water and got off his line. When we were loading up, he asked if we saw that fish. We said yeah, and he again said it was probably 36 inches and about 30 pounds. Hmmmmm.

Fun stories!
[signature]
yeah yeah - and without a picture it's just another fish story . . . maybe if it was 20 years ago, have heard there used to be some big-toad catfish before the big drought year.

I've been hearing a few fishtails lately that leave me wondering. Catfish over the state record. . . . hmmmm

Super big bass too. I dunno, I've hooked into a few toads. One yesterday gave me a good rip and run, then a run and rip, then a shake and spit. Did land up to a 14incher - mixed up large and smallies. But no crappie for me, a few bluegill.

So what - no Perch? Or other Panfish?
I caught a couple of perch on the baby brush hog. But we weren't targeting them. I did see a guy on the shore with a stringer that had half a dozen crappie or so on it.
[signature]
Its probably that same guy who saw bigfoot crossing the road in logan canyon...during a blizzard....hummm
[signature]