Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor for inflatable boat
I have a North Pak inflatable boat I want to put a motor on, it already has a motor mount but what motor should I get?
[signature]
Did you buy the boat new? If so the papers you got with it should tell you want the max size motor is. On most solid boats they are required to have a decal or plate on the inside somewhere that has the max size motor and weight the boat can carry. Short of that info I can't help you but maybe someone with an inflatable boat will answer your post.
WH2
[signature]
[li]8' boat [/li][li]450 lb. weight capacity not including the motor [/li][li]Two deluxe oars included [/li][li]Super heavy-duty nylon cover for added durability [/li][li]Heavy-gauge PVC inner tubes [/li][li]Boat fits easily into trunk of car [/li][li]Built-in motor mounting board [/li][li]Accepts up to 15 lb. thrust motor
Motor not included.
[/li]

That is small!!!!! Not sure where you will find one. Maybe Sears. I am betting a Minn Kota 30 would work.
[signature]
I got a Minn Kota 40 thrust motor for my Sea Eagle pontoon boat. When there is wind and whitecaps the bigger motor is safer and it wasn't too much more than the 30 thrust. There is plenty of power to get where you want to fish. Just don't get your fish line in the motor. I did that the first time so I'm really careful not to let the wind blow my hooks into the propeller.
[signature]
I agree, bigger motor specially if there is a large foot print from the boat which it appears to have.
As far as the lb thrust of the motor, it states up to 15lb., but look at all the float tubes that were not designed to put a motor on.
Could go larger, just may require some beefing up of the motor mount. Also, the material the boat is made of could make a difference.
[signature]
I own an 8' boat similiar to yours. My suggestion is to go with the biggest electric you can, I have a variable 55lb thrust on mine. If you are a long distance from shore and the wind comes up you will be glad you didn't settle for a 30lb thrust motor. I also have used a 2 HP motor it works well to, but it is heavier to lug around. With the electric you'll need a battery, so it's sixes. It all depends where you plan on fishing, if you fish protected water then a smaller motor will suffice, but I always opt for the largest motor that is SAFE for your boat. That way youdon't have to worry about fishing protected water- The dollar difference isn't much between a 30lb and a 55lb thrust and you'll be glad you bought the 55 lb.
[signature]