Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Parks Management Change
[cool][#0000ff]Saw a notice in this morning's Tribune that Jeff Rasmussen has been appointed Deputy Director of Utah State Parks. Jeff used to serve as park manager for Yuba State Park and I got to know him a bit. He was a friend to BFT and was always willing to provide info updates upon request.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I sent a congratulatory email to him this morning and made him aware that there has been some unrest among BFTers about the seeming decline in services and quality of maintenance in some parks. I suggested that he monitor our boards or at least either make info posts or send emails I can post on the board to keep us informed...or to respond to complaints or requests. Hope to hear back from him soon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a copy and paste of the article.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
Jeff Rasmussen named Utah State Parks deputy director
| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Oct 02 2012 05:09 pm • Last Updated Oct 02 2012 10:54 pm
Utah State Parks Director Fred Hayes has named Jeff Rasmussen to fill the position of deputy director of the state recreation agency.
Rasmussen has worked for Utah State Parks for two decades and has been serving as the northern region manager over 16 of the 43 state parks.
[Image: check-big.png]Rasmussen also worked as the manager of Yuba State Park after serving as a park ranger at PaliSade and Antelope Island state parks.
Rasmussen earned a degree in geography and natural resource management from Brigham Young University.
"I enjoy expanding and improving recreational opportunities for our visitors and hope to continue to do so at all state parks," Rasmussen said in a prepared statement.
The deputy director position became vacant after Hayes was named director in April.
[signature]
TD as usual on top of things. Thanks for the heads up
[signature]
With so many camp sites going with Land and Leisure, how much can he change thing?
To me that $18.00 a night is bogus, but it appears to be a lot of camp sites.
[signature]
I wasn't aware that Land and Leisure ran any State facilities.
[signature]
Pineview and Strawberry are run by Land and Leisure[unimpressed] but they are not State facilities but National parks.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]With so many camp sites going with Land and Leisure, how much can he change thing?
To me that $18.00 a night is bogus, but it appears to be a lot of camp sites.[/quote]

On my fishing vacation early July, I camped a night at Sand Hollow. I paid three dollars less than a hotel in the city to sleep under the stars. I should be able to do that among millions of square miles, but what is already ours, has a monopoly that charges us to use what is ours. I understand a developed campsite with fancy features for motorhomes cost money, but I had no need for that nor was I using a motorhome.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
I know what you mean. They are Forest Service Campgrounds.... You are right they are differnt issues. State Parks has been given very little money over the past several legislative sessions to maintain what they have. I am sure they are frustrated as well. The services have definitely been affected.
[signature]
I'm with you there. Along that same line, I hate paying $6 to use a public highway, if I want to pull over anywhere.
[signature]
Technically it is legal to park and hike undeveloped areas in the National Forest.
The laws passed several years ago allowing fees were clear this is allowed free of charge. The Forest service was and is still trying to implement some fees it doesn't have the right to impose. What wasn't totally clear is what level of services the Forest Service had to provide to be able to impose fees. This judicial finding did clarify that even if the article doesn't state the exact details.
http://www.kvsun.com/articles/2012/03/03...447599.txt
It looks like the Forest Service strategy maybe one of trying to illegally collect fees but not issues citations because no law is broken to prosecute anybody.
[signature]
I just meant that it seems other camp sites are trying to keep up with AL&L prices. All the camp sites seem to be around that $20. range, which is understandable with full hook up, but Tents?
[signature]
Jeff is one good fella! I too got to know him from Yuba Res. He made visiting Yuba feel like a second home to me. The guy can catch walleye better at Yuba than anyone I know of. I hated to see him leave, but congratulations to him all the same.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I just meant that it seems other camp sites are trying to keep up with AL&L prices. All the camp sites seem to be around that $20. range, which is understandable with full hook up, but Tents?[/quote]

At the cost per day, that's $600 plus per month, you can be buying a house for that! The land is already ours. Does it belong to the government? It's public lands! Is it to be used only by the affluent? I work a lot and have plenty of money now, but one of the attractions of fishing and outdoor and preparedness skills is for now seemingly likely harsh times to come of no jobs and society not functional. In such times, I like the idea of being able to camp and eat fish. But, is that only for those who can afford fees as high as a hotel room?

Ronald Smile
[signature]
oh man love your profile ,haha
[signature]