Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line Cleaner
I have been fishing the Jordan River most this summer but a lot of stillwater as well. I line to keep my fly line clean and lubed up. I wash it in mild mix of Dawn dish soap (cuts the grease) and warm water, but I also dress the line with "Glide". It is like fishing a new line.
I try to clean my lines after 5 or 6 trips out.
What does everyone else do and use?
[signature]
I use a pop-up wipe from Armor-All that's a cleaner, followed by another wipe with the protectant for between-trip cleaning.

When my line gets REALLY grungy - and/or after my last trip of the year - I use a diluted solution of Simple Green to clean, followed by a light coat of Johnson's Paste Wax.
[signature]
A sink full of warm water and Dawn to clean then Loon Line Speed
[signature]
Nothing.

I never do anything to the line. Well if it gets in the sand/mud okay but on a regular basis: nothing.
[signature]
Don't change anything. Dawn and Glide have been my cleaner/treatment combination since . . . well . . . forever! I get a few seasons out of most floating lines, and since I use double tapers, I then reverse them and get a few more seasons.
[signature]
I was wondering this the other day... so with the dawn soap do you just wash it in the sink or what?
[signature]
I do. Enough room to pull a lot of line out and massage the soap in then rinse completely out.
But I have an Easy Winder I use for applying Glide and a little plastic box with felt pads.
[signature]
There a couple of different ways to clean your line this is way I do. I use old fly line spool I have a attachment to fits my cordless drill that will spin the empty spool. (You could probably us a long bolt and 2 nuts to hold the spool in place. ) Any how just fill the sink with warm water, squirt some dawn in there mix it around then start peeling some line off your reel.

you can peel the entire line off at once but if your not careful youll end up with a rats nest swish it around ( if you want use use a damp rag to clean ) then drain and rinse with clean water.

Strip the line through a dry rag to dry the line, I slowly wind the clean line on the empty spool to avoid tangles. My Buddie just let his line fall to the floor.

Repeat until you get all the line cleaned.

Once done apply fly line dressing to a dry rag, hold the rag to the line and spool it back to your reel.
[signature]