Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluegill Flies?
What flies are the best at catching bluegill? I tie my own so I have been trying my own homemade flies with some success. Like Size 12 Woolly Buggers.
[signature]
That's kinda big...LOL Just kidding. I was at Pelican and caught a bunch of Blues. I was using a #12 nymph. Black Marabou. With a red bead they went crazy! Also, Softhackle Nymphs.
[signature]
The Psychedelic Prince Nymph in size 14........a true panfish KILLER!

[Image: 801305.JPG]
[signature]
True, but hard to find[Wink] Purple rules!
[signature]
Hares ear
[signature]
YES! Small Zug Bugs, Bead Head Prince. But Black is awesome
[Image: 003-3.jpg]
[signature]
I like that one may have to try and tie some of those up!
[signature]
I was fishing the pond near my house the other day and i couldn't keep the stupid things off a olive hares ear and copper johns...
[signature]
Ditto, hares ears!

On Mantua I've caught them on a variety of streamers - purple, chartreuse, clausser minnows with orange bellies. Surprisingly even the littler guys will hit a size 8-10. Hard.

In the summer I like to fish the shallows of the community ponds with a PMD or cahill. Find a school of them and its a strike every cast. Great fun.
[signature]
I like to fish a nice buoyant attractor like at Turk's Tarantula with a beadhead dropper under it. Most nymph patterns will work, but a really fuzzily tied hare's ear or caddis emerger is hard to beat. I made up a pattern in high school just for gills, I simply named it "Harry". It was sort of like a hare's ear, but tied more "loosely".
[signature]