Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery charge?
So I found an old minn kota motor in my moms shed and a 12v deep cycle that was on the trailer but couldn't find a charger. So my question is, can I just charge it on my truck for awhile till I can buy a charger or will it not charge right.
[Image: 2012-09-29_19-02-38_859.jpg]
[signature]
You can, but it won't get much of a useful charge. You need to slow-charge ("trickle charge") a deep cycle battery to get the most from it. Somewhere between 2 and 10 amps going in (I usually charge at a 6 amp, declining rate, for my trolling motor batteries). Also, if the battery has been sitting around, especially without a charge in it, it might be toast anyway. I'd check the water level, test battery with a tester, and slow charge it before I ever trusted it on a motor or hooked it up to my vehicle. A quick-charge from your truck isn't going to tell you much.
[signature]
some good suggestions there.

bet you've got a buddy or neighbor with a charger. there are some that really aren't too expensive.

another idea - take the battery into a tire-buster that does batteries too, and they can test it for you. probably even a walmart auto center. They might even be willing to give it a charge for you, if you act like you're going to buy one from them anyway...
That is a small motor! What pound is it and what are you planning on powering?
[signature]
Thanks for the input guys! Its a model 65c which from what I can find is 28 to 36#s on some that were similar on ebay and stuff but I did measure the shaft and it was 28" and the little tag on it say to only use 12v deep cycle. when I hooked it up to my truck it worked great 5 speed fwd and rev. I thought why not put it on my tube, but it sounds like I wont be able to test drive it tomorrow at the berry!! Oh well still will knock em dead!
[signature]
You will have to license your tube as well. $37.00
[signature]