Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Line
I have always said to not skimp in fly line. MAN! do I want to emphasize this!
A very good friend gave me a Cabela's outfit. It is an eight weight four piece. He wanted me to use this for my Carp and leave the Winston for Big Trout...LOL
The Rod is not bad at all. A medium fast action, and can roll cast nice. The Reel is kinda cool looking and great drag.
Now, the important part....the line. I have no idea what the line is, but it is Cabela's.
This line is TERRIBLE!!!!! It is impossible to cast this crap!
All you beginners that go out and buy the starter or the inexpensive kits, CHANGE THE LINE!!!

The term Orvis Dork has been brought up and as close as I can get, the definition is someone that is decked out with nice gear, but has no skills.
Well, is you use this line, I can understand that!

I have always spent the extra coin on the line and I also find killer deals on net and Sierra Trading post or e-bay where I have bought many top notch lines for $29.
Just takes some looking.

Line does make a difference, and I had no idea how much till today.
[signature]
shark skin and rio go on every reel we have. expesive? yes, worth? hell yes
[signature]
ya for sure next year if i got some money to spend on better fly fishing rods, reel, lines ehh you got the point ect. [Smile] but im just happy i got that sinking line you gave me gosh it has helped me a lot lately even for this cumming Sunday even. Im sure the sinking line will help me tons when the dnr puts those 14 in bows in the ponds that arnt far away from school that i can hit down a few hrs a day. Lately its been baby crappie and gills that are boring. I just love shooting them into space where there never will be found my man kind on earth [laugh]. FFL + bows+ wollies+ ponds+ fly fishing = slaughter fest [Tongue]
[signature]
Im really glad you talked me into the sharkskin [cool], I love this line just didnt love the pice tag but its well worth it!
[signature]
ya gota love the price tag. I wish you could magically drop the price by 65% and then I will be a little happier.
[signature]
I know how you feel it was really hard to pay that price, but its super sweet line, and I actually like the sound of the line not as loud as I though it was going to be.
[signature]
ya if i get a better job soon hopfully. Maybe next year if i got enough money to spend 100 on just a fly line maybe one day ha ha ha but for now im good with the amazing sinking line and real that fly goddes gave me helping me out by a lot.
[signature]
The fly line (next to the fly) is the most important part of fly fishing. You can cast line without a rod.

http://youtu.be/-dp8RK8_sRw

Therefore, maybe the line should be the most expensive. The Technology to make it took time I am sure.

Skimp on the reel and even a rod (although there is a difference there between the $20. and the $700. Just not necessary to fly fish)

Sharkskin can make a good caster better and a bad caster good.
[signature]