Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fish this weekend?
I just got off work early and intend to enjoy our nice weather by fishing somewhere. But, where?

Before it was Cabela's list of reservoirs where they had tagged fish for my hunt for their two million dollar fish.

The closest I came was catching a large bass at Mantua reservoir the day after http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...=scartinez caught a bass there with a Cabela's tag. See his post at this link: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...80;#744780

After eating, I'll be at Sandy Pond to practice casting my new ultra light lures again except this time testing a new ultra light rod since I noticed my light action rod can cast light lures twice the distance that my medium action rod casts the same lure.

Perhaps someone reading this will meet me there to see what an ultra light action will do.

I'll also have my surf casting rod just in case anyone can show me how to cast it, but I gave up until I learn more about how that's done. It should cast two hundred yards and I can only cast it a hundred feet.

While testing the ultra light, I'll be thinking of where to fish and what type of fishing I might choose for this weekend's adventures and anyone of us joining me there is invited to help me decide.

I'll be able to check my emails and post replies on my tablet, so anyone thinking of meeting me there can ask if I'm there yet. I'll be there after eating and can coordinate staying or going back to meet by checking posts and replies.

Sandy Pond location:
Jordan River Parkway Trail, South Jordan, UT 84095 http://m.google.com/u/m/xB2rqA

Ronald
[signature]
With regard to casting a surf rod...check out the pendulum method. Its a little tough to get onto but I could really chuck em after getting it down. Also what are you casting? Aerodynamics gets important when you're going for distance. Check stripers nonlinear and look for posts by highplainsdrifter. He's like the tubedude of that site and has some incredible tales and tips about casting and catching hogs in the surf.
[signature]
Thanks! I'm somehow not doing the pendulum cast correctly. I made a teardrop shaped five ounce practice weight of high density polyethylene that just barely floats. It should have excellent aerodynamics to go far. It's smooth and there are no hooks to snag weeds. Do you have a link to stripers nonlinear?

Ronald
[signature]
200 yards? Sorry but I'm way skeptical. 200 feet...maybe.
[signature]
Of course! That's reasonable.

Even surf fishermen would be, too.

There probably are few in Utah (or in this group?) who have surf casted.

But, most surf casters don't even know about this. It was described to me as contrasted to conventional surf casting. It changes surf fishing. Typically surf fishermen wade out far with only a few lures in their top wader pocket and then cast as far as they can to get bait out past the last sand bar where big fish patrol for little fish.

Surf fishermen with this equipment stand on shore and cast out further than those who have first waded out. They also use two hundred pound test line from the five ounce weight to the first wraps on the spool to not break their twenty pound test line while casting. There must be awesome acceleration of that five ounce weight to be concerned with that!

Ronald
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I still think your obsession with casting so far with heavy surf tackle is more of a personal challenge thing than realistic fishing necessity. Yes, there are some situations...mainly on the northeast coast of the Atlantic...where it can be useful to be able to make those long casts. But at least 99% of the surf fishing around the country requires much shorter heaves...and lighter tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I HAVE fished from piers, rocks, jetties and surf all around the USA...Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts. I have also fished around both sides of the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. Most of my shore casting experience has been with what would be considered light to medium freshwater spinning or baitcast gear...to fish that were within easy casting range of the water's edge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For whatever reason, there is a common belief among many surf fishermen that you have to have those teen-foot rods and huge spinning reels to make twilight zone casts far out into the water. You can see these guys along any stretch of coastline in the country. But you will also usually see other guys making shorter casts with lighter gear and usually catching more fish. And they have a lot more fun and get fewer hernias from their casting exertions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As with all the other fishing I do, I let the size of the fish and/or the size of the lures or sinkers I must cast dictate the type of tackle I use. Unless you absolutely have to chuck out big lures or heavy sinkers a long ways there is no need for the "howitzers". There are lots of big stripers, blues and red drum pulled from Atlantic waters by guys using 7 foot medium heavy bass rods and suitable sized baitcasters spooled with 15 or 20 pound line. And they seldom have to cast more than 50 yards to reach active fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I find it laughable when I see guys with the ultra surf gear winding in small pompano, surf perch or other typical inshore species on rods that hardly flex against the pull of their overmatched quarry. But there are times and places where having long heavy rods can make a real difference when you have to make long casts or control big fish in heavy surf or around sharp-edged rocks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also find it interesting that some of the regular winners of long distance casting competitions are not even regular fishermen. They are strictly in it for the competition. Kinda like the guys who bust 100 straight clay targets with their shotguns but have never shot ducks, pheasants, geese or whatever. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not trying to be argumentative Ron. Just suggesting that maybe you temper your new compulsion with some realism. If you really want to do well surf fishing, you should be sure you acquire and become proficient with tackle that will be useful the greatest percentage of the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, after reading your profile and some of your posts I suspect that wanting to cast 200 yards has nothing to do with fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff]But, after reading your profile and some of your posts I suspect that wanting to cast 200 yards has nothing to do with fishing.[/#0000ff][/quote]

I just gave his profile a read as well, since I can dig what he's doing. I love a good challenge as well, but...

Quote:Personal Description:
Technical, methodical, creative, phenomenal good health and superpowers which should be of interest to single young ladies desiring to marry me to pass on these qualities to our future children and grandchildren. Let's discuss the possibilities while fishing!

If I were a chick... oh man.
[signature]
Sorry about that 'Online' not nonlinear...stupid tablet thinks its smarter than me.

Anyway, I agree with Tubedude...partly. I've seen guys catch sierras on a light rod and a small Krocodile and I've even caught 30 lb dorado on a 6' Ugly Stik packrod but when the roosters are boiling baitfish just out of range you'll wish you could get that extra distance.

Here's some links...I don't think they'll get deleted because they're not forums but if they do I'll send you a PM. The one I referenced earlier is a forum. Here's some of High Plains Drifter's pics and adventures

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/.../FrontPage

and here's a casting instructional video by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAeyRQOE9...ure=relmfu

That's what helped me.
[signature]
Hey ron! I think if I remember right, u didn't really cast agilely at sandy pond. Not sure if it's cause it's small but that's what I saw. It also didn't seem like u really had a "follow through". The trick to casting really far is to throw it cast really hard and super low. You want a follow through after casting it really far. Like some have said thought, I don't think throwing 200 yards is necessary. If you're "bank fishing" then if you're throwing it that far then u might as well be fishing from a boat/ship/craft or whatever. But good luck with your goal and have fun!
[signature]
It looks like your phishing on this site has been going quite well. [Wink]

Why worry about finding somewhere else to go? [Smile]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote FishingLunatic]... u didn't really cast agilely at sandy pond. ...[/quote]

Correct. It's all new to me. That's why I spend so much time at Sandy Pond practicing casting with so many different rods. My latest is an ultra light spinning rod and I'll be at Sandy Pond briefly to practice casting it with my new ultra light lures you saw. I'm new at it and all are invited to coach me on casting technique.

[quote FishingLunatic] ... I don't think throwing 200 yards is necessary. ...[/quote]

My post of 09/24/12 8:10 PM explains my purpose for the long casting and it is just a sliver of the full spectrum of fishing styles I'm learning. To not be repeating, it's posted at this link and of course responses work just as well for our older posts as the current ones: (archive post link):

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_...il;#772999

[quote FishingLunatic] ... If you're "bank fishing" then if you're throwing it that far then u might as well be fishing from a boat/ship/craft or whatever. ...[/quote]

There is a reason why at any time I seem to be trying and learning odd mixes of fishing techniques. I'm going for the full spectrum of fishing, so while doing that whatever I do next will be new to me and I will be inexperienced and learning. But, I learn fast!

I have a pontoon boat. I set it aside and the last two times I took it to reservoirs, I left it strapped to the roof of my vehicle because I decided to switch to exploring shore fishing for a while. As you noticed, casting far overlaps what is normally done with both fishing. Exactly! I'm exploring pushing that limit of shore fishing as noted in my post on reaching the boils in the above linked post.

Much of my fishing, though certainly fun and enjoyment, is also motivated by desire to increase my capabilities for preparedness fishing for not just myself, but to be able to teach those skills in the future to those who might desperately need that to feed themselves and loved ones in harsh times to come. That different perspective is why much of my fishing of working on new techniques and styles doesn't at first make sense to people in these present good times of abundance as most can't relate to harsh times that they have never seen and are beyond their imagination.

Preparedness fishing needs to be of the nature that is not dependant on having boats and vehicles to haul them and fuels to power them. That's just one reason for me pushing the limits of shore fishing into the overlap into the realm of boat fishing.

My fly fishing abilities are excellent preparedness for me. But, such skills take time to learn and develop proficiency and are not as easily transferable to others in great need. Conventional fishing styles are more applicable, so I'm learning them and stocking up on excess equipment as barter commodities of value as cash is becoming worth less on it's way to becoming worthless. In those times, conventional fishing equipment would be more practical as barter items because more people including those with little or no fishing experience will be able to quickly use them to eat.

I'm skilled and accomplished at fly fishing and particularly fly tying, but I set all that aside and bought a great many spinning and casting rods and reels from ultra lights to extra heavy and beyond and lures from huge swim baits to ultra light and all of that is new to me.

[quote FishingLunatic] ... But good luck with your goal and have fun![/quote]

Thanks. It's working and I have been having fun! Being new to the new styles that I've been learning, I've been consistently catching the big fish at the reservoirs.

Anyone seeing me with undeveloped techniques is certainly invited to teach me.

I'm about to eat and then go to Sandy Pond for ultra light practice. I'll have connectivity with my tablet while eating and practicing to meet up for a lesson or switch to different fishing equipment and styles and go to a fishing destination. I have the weekend available and pack camping gear.

Ronald
[signature]
Well I'm going fishing with a couple people at strawberry tomorrow but maybe next week I will go with you sandy pond or somewhere like that and try to help you cast. I'm sure my poles aren't designed to cast very far but I can come and help you. If you've ever played golf, its the same type of thing. You want your cast to be one smooth motion, no pausing at the back. THen u just have to time when to let it go so you throw it low so you reach your maximum potential throw. If ur and sandy pond tonight I maybe can stop by after I do some stuff to get ready for tomorrow.
[signature]
Sure. I can be there this evening.

I'm also available for Strawberry (or anywhere else with any of us) and I can bring whatever equipment and lures would be best for the type of fishing, the location and what others are doing or can teach.

Ronald
[signature]