Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake Oct 4 and 5
Finally got into the lake at about 2:30 on Thursday. I stayed at the State Park and the water there was chocolate in color, so I headed over to Hope Creek and the Cliffs which have been so kind to me this year on two previous trips (June and Sept). So I headed around and at the County Docks the water was clear and there were quite a few guys out there on tubes and pontoons. I had never fished there before and although the wind was blowing good I made and executive decision to give it a try. The first two hours were slow with only two fish per hour, but after that it got hot from 4:30 to 6:00. In that time period I netted 12 fish. I guess I am a greedy person. After I netted my tenth fish of the afternoon I would say to myself that is good and the wind is terrible so I am only going to catch one more fish and then call it a day. Six fish later and with darkness coming on and temperatures falling fast I finally reeled in the fly and went to shore. I caught two really nice brookies, both males with one in very nice colors. A nice guy told me to use a brown leech, so I put on a brown simi-seal leech and that was the trick. Yesterday the wind was not favorable and made it hard to fight it. In two hours I managed two fish and then went and ate lunch and then tried it again in the afternoon. The wind had increased and after two more hours almost all that were out there at the County Docks called it a day. Met up with my kids at college at Rexburg, ate at Sammy's and then headed home. The 4 1/2 trip home had me contemplating about trips next year to Henry's Lake and definitely it will see me at least three times again in 2013.
[signature]
Awesome report!!!! I love brookies!!!!
[signature]
Awesome fish! Guess that is one benefit of having kids up here......another excuse to make it to Idaho to flyfish.

As far as food, sammys is blah, treat yourself and your kids to a local joint in st Anthony called chizs.......you won't ever pass it by while in the area again.
[signature]
Nice job, but your killing me. On my phone up camping (25" fat cutt on this morning [Wink] ) Having to open each of your pictures is brutal. PhotoBucket is free[Smile]
[signature]
I feel shame when I consider my puny fish against yours.[Wink]

My sister owns a cabin at the old Mac's Inn, and we've spent many a week there, but I didn't fish then. Now that I am fishing, I haven't been up there for two years.

Now you've got me thinking about Henry's Lake and the need to spend time there next summer/fall.
[signature]
My mother, her sister and her husband and my grandparents built one of the first cabins up there. It was on the north road to Big Springs. Never once growing up did we fish Henry's Lake, but I learned to stream fish on the Outlet. I wish I had started fishing Henry's Lake back in the 60s when we went up there every summer. I am just getting to know the lake now and I am having a blast. Caught my biggest trout ever the1st of September up there and now my biggest brook trout ever. I lost a monster up there in June and I already have a return trip scheduled for next June to land it this time.
[signature]
That wind was brutal. Oddly enough the last two times I have been at Henry's, so have you. The fishing was so good Mon. & Tuesday but after that the wind kicked my butt. I see they had to rescues some folks off the lake on Friday. Do a google search for the local news coverage.
Mac
[signature]
me parece bien que hay dos de nosotros que hablamos espanol en este enlace. No he oido la palabra "macanudo" por mucho tiempo. Where were you staying? State Park for me and I thought I was going to have to be there without heat because everytime I plugged in the trailer it blew a fuse. I finally changed it to a 25 amp instead of the 15 I was suppose to use. It was sure cold. Last year, the same time, I brought the snow and this year it was the cold temps. Next October had better be in the 60s and no wind! That is wishful thinking I am sure.
[signature]
I love Sammys Pie Shakes and sweet potato fries.

Windriver
[signature]
[quote truchas_ole]me parece bien que hay dos de nosotros que hablamos espanol en este enlace. No he oido la palabra "macanudo" por mucho tiempo. Where were you staying? State Park for me and I thought I was going to have to be there without heat because everytime I plugged in the trailer it blew a fuse. I finally changed it to a 25 amp instead of the 15 I was suppose to use. It was sure cold. Last year, the same time, I brought the snow and this year it was the cold temps. Next October had better be in the 60s and no wind! That is wishful thinking I am sure.[/quote]

60a! I would think you would be praying for rain or lotsa snow! Would make catching easier if it was a dried up puddle though LOL
[signature]
Aprendi que si hay viento del norte, hay que pescar pintail point. Hay menos viento y la pesca es buenisima che

Mac
[signature]
I was also up there 3rd through the 7th... The wind was horrible and unforgiving especially on Saturday after noon white caps and 2' swells. Sunday morning was a diff story it was beautiful water almost glass and warmer. Great fishing on the north side of the lake and by Targee creek.
[signature]
It cracks me up when I fish there. Some people are so secretive as to what fly and color they are using and then for others they will even show you the fly they are catching them on. As for me, I am willing to even give someone the same fly I am using. Since there are so many fish it seems to be no big deal to me and I want to share the wealth. In fact nothing gives me more pleasure than having people catch fish on flies that I have tied myself. Maybe I am a proud sucker and it builds my pride even more. This is a question to all, Are you one that gives out information or are you one that hordes it?
[signature]
[quote truchas_ole]It cracks me up when I fish there. Some people are so secretive as to what fly and color they are using and then for others they will even show you the fly they are catching them on. As for me, I am willing to even give someone the same fly I am using. Since there are so many fish it seems to be no big deal to me and I want to share the wealth. In fact nothing gives me more pleasure than having people catch fish on flies that I have tied myself. Maybe I am a proud sucker and it builds my pride even more. This is a question to all, Are you one that gives out information or are you one that hordes it?[/quote]

I tie up a bunch of preferred flies before my trip and as you, I will hand them out like candy. I will tell you where, when, what line, what fly. I even take my fly tying kit and have been known to be tying while hubby prepares dinner[Wink]
[signature]
(I tie up a bunch of preferred flies before my trip and as you, I will hand them out like candy. I will tell you where, when, what line, what fly. I even take my fly tying kit and have been known to be tying while hubby prepares dinner)

Now that's the kind of fisherwoman/fisherman I was taught to be by my dad while growing up. I want to meet and be around more like you because I see myself in what you say.
[signature]
Where this threads gone reminds me of what occured last month to me on the Henrys fork just above the bridge at Ashton. I was fishing a fairly easy to access spot, as in you could pull your car above. Me and prob count the grey hairs I'm getting, and had just finally matched what they were hitting . 3 fish in 3 casts type of match which is fairly rare on that stretch. This guy late 50s rolls up in a rental car, hops out, watchess and asks if I could give him any pointers on where to go and what to use. He was in from new Mexico doing work on the dam and figured instead of sitting in a hotel all evening he brought his fly gear. I ended up telling him to park and just come down. I put him in the top of the hole and after going through his box I saw he didn't have anything close to what they were taking, so I handed him a half dozen Flys, tied him on some 6x and watched him catch some fish......while catching below him of course. He fished up the bank this left a big gap between us. Well next pulls up a motorhome, cali plates. Guy jumps out sees fish rising and proceeds to walk down and throw across right where I'm casting up to.......needless to say when he asked what I was catching em on he didn't get much of a response.

So its not always if you're willing to share, sometimes its just how the person approaches you or if they understand some basic common courtesy.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and great pics. I always help out the same way unless i only have one left in the box lol
[signature]
With fly fishing it’s mostly catch and release, so I agree, what’s the harm in sharing the wealth. Like you, I am also “prideful” when someone asks me what I’m using because at least that person thinks I know what I’m doing.

At Mirror Lake this summer, a 12-year old kid was attempting to fly fish on his own, and was making serviceable casts but with no luck.. Suz was catching them like crazy on a parachute Adams a few yards away, and the poor kid looked like he wanted to give up. Suz went over and looked at his rig – he had like a No. 3 leader but no tippet and some raggy-looking thing that had to be the “Banjo Minnow” of flies. She tied him on some tippet and gave him 3-4 Parachute Adams. Within a few minutes he had his first trout on a dry fly (and it won’t be the last after the look on his face).

You gotta love a woman like that.
[signature]
My first answer to your question is this. To each their own. There are no written rules on giving out info. I don't mind helping others who are trying to learn. I will not help those just looking for the "HOT" fly and don't have a courteous bone in their body. I learned the hard way just like every one before me. Some people just won't talk to you and others will hand you fish on a platter. You just can't take it personal when you get the cold shoulder. Move on and put the time in too learn your own secrets or learn tips that would help others also. One last thing to remember, you only get back what you put in.
[signature]
[quote Loufly]My first answer to your question is this. To each their own. There are no written rules on giving out info. I don't mind helping others who are trying to learn. I will not help those just looking for the "HOT" fly and don't have a courteous bone in their body. I learned the hard way just like every one before me. Some people just won't talk to you and others will hand you fish on a platter. You just can't take it personal when you get the cold shoulder. Move on and put the time in too learn your own secrets or learn tips that would help others also. One last thing to remember, you only get back what you put in.[/quote]

I Like that. We say, "what goes around, comes around".
[signature]