Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure colors
I am new to fishing and when I read about colors of lures, some people say use bright colors on bright days and dark colors on dark days. And then some say just the opposite! Can anybody please verify what is the correct conditions? THANX!!!!
[signature]
Hey man there's a lot of colors out there to choose from. A lot of guys swear by them and others will tell you they don't matter. Youll figure out what works as you go along.

But... I stick to this. If the water is nice and clear Ill stick with browns, blacks, and whites. Murky water go bright. Yellows and oranges are my favorites oh and PINK.

It also depends on what you are throwing and what type of system youre in.

Ill throw different things in the river than I will a quarry lake. What kind of fishing are you doing, what type of setting?
[signature]
I have been to 3 different lakes and was only able to catch fish one time. Caught 3 and one broke my line.
[signature]
What were you fishing for? What kind of line are you using mono, flourocarbon, braid? What # test. Was the water murky, crytal clear, gin colored? Did your line break or did something bit it off?

sorry bout all the questions....just trying to see whats goin on.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
Whatwas I fishing for? Anything that I could.
What kind of line? Not sure. What # test? I think 8.
The water was a tad bit murky I guess. As I was fightin’ with a fish to reel itin – I don’t know if the line broke or if the fish bit it off or what!
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
It's hard to tell about the line breaking. It could have been a bite off but that depends on what's in the lake. If it was a pike, muske, gar, or even a decent cat they can bite through the line. Depending in what you were throwing. If you were throwing a spinner or a crank or some sort I'd gander to say you got bit off just based on the typical type of fish that would chase those lures.

If you were using live bait, plastic worms , or other slower moving baits I'd have to assume there was a weak spot in the line. If it was a bigger fish and you were just cranking him in there was probably too much tension on the line. Or the drag was set too tight. Remember when the fish runs and you see your line being pulled out, let him run! That will tire him out, then reel when he stops swimming against you. Keeps the pressure on the line but not too much.

To set your drag properly you should be able to pull your line off your reel with just a little bit of resistance. You'll figure out in time how much is too much. For instance I set my drag tight when I'm going for salmon bc they can rip the drag out with no problem. With a pike their head shakes can pop your line.
You can always reach with your other hand and tighten the drag during the fight but if you start with your drag set too hard...pop.

Also head to bass pro or cabelas and have them spool you up some 20# power pro line. You'll not have that same problem again unless you're dealing with a beast. It's a great way to start out plus you'll be able to cast so much farther with that line.
[signature]
Thanx or the great info.As I was getting ready to replace my line with #10 for more streangth as Dicks Sporting Goods and some buddies said that would be sufficient. I was also told anything over 10 was overkill.
[signature]
It really depends on what you are trying to catch but Power Pro is braded line and for the same size dia as mono you get much stronger line plus it cast easier. Yes, it cost a little more but worth it in most cases.
[signature]
Exactly what wiperhunter said! It might cost you 6-7$ more. But you'll save a ton of lures that you won't loose getting snagged.

I wouldn't necessarily say anything over 10 is over kill. I'm not bein a smart aleck but if you had braid you probably would've landed the fish. I mean you can go 10# braid.

For most the guys I know 20# is the goto mark. Works for almost anything. And you save a lot of lures and have less break offs. Especially paired with a good polymer knot or I like to use the nail knot.
[signature]
Lure colors -

water clarity, depth - major considerations. The blue-silver travel better lower, but shallower - red can't be beat. In general - clearer water I go with flashy silver, gold, muddier water - step into the fluorescent, flashy, bright. Into night - the darker shades of black...

But be sure - whatever is working,- - - switch to something different and it just might work!

Line#s

I typically run 8-10# mono, but also spiderwire, or braid. But there's the line, vs the leader. I've tied a lot of my hookup rigs with8-20lb mono. Some cats don't care.
[indent]I could never figure it out. It seems different every day for me. One day one seems better than other.
[/indent]
[signature]