Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
?Mantua Water Level???
Anyone know if Mantua water level is low or does it hold its own over the summer?
[signature]
Haven't been down there, but I know some who have. Water level is just fine from the pics I saw from just over a week ago.
[signature]
I was there 3 times last week. Yep the water level is good but the fishing is terrible...[Wink]! The water still had quite a bit of that pea soup look to it like people have been saying...but the fish don't seem to mind. Dark colors worked very well for me.
[signature]
When "we" going to share some water[Wink]
[signature]
FG.. Not sure if you were talking to me but ill probably be going back up sunday morning.
[signature]
What have you been catching? Willard is getting old and I need a different place to try. Are you flyfishing?
[signature]
Yes I was fly fishing. Dark colored leech patterns worked best. Black, purple, brown all with a little flash tied into them. I mainly caught trout..most were planter size but a couple were quite be a bit bigger. Also a few bass and perch mixed in no bluegill for some reason. Most of the fish on my finder were showing up in about 10 feet of water.
[signature]
Jlg you got to try Denny Rickards Seal Bugger in Blood and Burnt Orange about a #10. Just the right amount of weight in the fly. Fish it with a Type II or an Ingtermediate, but a floating with a 9' leader would produce I bet.
[signature]
Ill look up that pattern asap.. I tied some blood leeches with black and red simiseal. They worked ok. I tied some with purple ice dubbing w/ marabou tail.. DEADLY. Funny you mentioned the line.. I was just using my floating line because the shallow depth + thick weeds.
[signature]
This fly rocked this time of year in the past. Also, try a #12 Zug Bug Dropper. We got to get together there so we can share notes!
[signature]
This is a moment of weakness. It's tough for me to avoid my passion for fly tying. I put all of my fly fishing and fly tying supplies away in my quest to expand my fishing experience this year with a full range of spinning rods and reels and lures from huge swim bait to just recently the ultra lights which I've been trying to practice cast with two pound test line on an ultra light spinning rod and reel.

In doing so (and perhaps I need to change or improve my casting technique), I've been thinking these ultra light lures overlap into the realm of flies at least by weight and might be better cast with fly fishing equipment. New to ultra light spinning rods and reels, I'm wondering if it is overlapping with fly fishing. Comments invited.

But, since I bought the equipment and I'm learning it, I seek to improve my abilities with it and I'm tempted to further get into the overlap by getting out my fly tying supplies just briefly to tie some of these patterns that are working.

Perhaps some raining day (what's that matter, the fish are already wet! And how's fishing on a raining day?), some of should get together with flies that are working and clues and hunches and design versions to test that combine characteristics that work or maybe just subtle changes like size or bulk or color and then we can test them and report back on the results.

Comments are invited on that and should we organize a get together for that, then I'll bring my fly tying supplies and we can make experimental samples for us to test.

But, other than that brief diversion I'll need to be strong and keep my fly fishing gear put away while I continue with learning the new equipment and fishing methods.

Back to our subject, the picture is Mantua Reservoir on May 12, 2012 that I provide should it be useful to compare water levels to now. I have many other pictures and can post one that can be selected to compare to a more recent one. This is the beach adjacent to boat dock and launch not seen in this photograph which shows the start of the flooded trees where I was fishing and caught a huge large mouth bass (the day after http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...l;username=scartinez caught a bass there with a Cabela's tag. See his post at this link: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...? post=744780;#744780)

Ronald
[signature]
I'm tossing around ideas for Sunday - Mantua's on the list. Wouldn't mind trying some of my bass rigs, or jigs/flies.

Just don't figure we've had anywhere near cold enough to knock down any weeds there.

RPF: Not a good lake for long casts. All you'll end up with is dragging weeds. Willard's probably a better bet for the surf rod! Trolling at Mantua is the pits too, except maybe early season.

I like to find a drop - and work some vertical, or semi vertical jigging. Or cast into one of the open pockets.

No gills? Saw bunches of young gills on the Bear the other day - popping up to slurp fluff off the surface. Mostly milk-weed, or whatever fluff is out floating. Anyone got a fly pattern to match that?
They had zero interest in my curly tail. Maybe an ice jig....

That'll probably first to ice up. Looking forward to tent city on the hard-deck!
Do we have a meet and greet at Mantua on Sunday then? I'll go. JLG, you've been there recently; what's the best time to get started?
[signature]
I have been getting there about 8am and launching from the sandy beach near the boat ramp. Last week I wouldn't call the fishing smoking hot but it was better then average so it should be a good time.
[signature]
So how about it? flygoddess, wiperhunter, coyotespinner? You game for a meet-up?

Edit to add: It's almost the new moon, and the solunar table calls for a "BEST" day, with the major feed from 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Shall we say arrive at 9:30 - 10 am?
[signature]
Jdawg was saying he has a free-pass this weekend with the Mrs/Kids out of town, so we were tossing ideas.

Sounds like Pea Soup's on the menu baaaaawz!

I haven't been to that puddle since early summer, and I've enjoyed fall trips there before. Wouldn't mind trying some of my newer bass baits, and maybe some panfish options.
Tied some squirrely fat purple/green flies with Mantua in mind. Need to share those!

I know some of us are starting to think about "ice" - I don't wonder if the fish are thinking about ice-sized-jigs too?

better recharge up me-batteries, and fill up the gas tank with fresh. I think 8 sounds like a good time. Gonna have to break out a 5er.
Is the water still nasty or has it cleared up?
[signature]
See ya there! I'll probably arrive about 9. The appearance of a white Durango with a humongous kayak on top will be your clue.
[signature]
JLG could tell us better than any, but I think yes. It'll take some good fall chilling to bring down both the bloom, and the weeds. Seemed like last fall, it stayed murky longer.

Guess I'll find out better tomorrow. But if it's any good - you probably won't hear about it! [Wink][:p]
Sorry guys, not gonna make this outing. Hubby has the garage tore apart and I am not sure where my gear is[crazy]

I do have my Carp gear in the back of my car so I will be causing some carpage early.
[signature]