Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheep strike indecators ? Walmart
I need some cheep strike indecators for my trip up to the lower Provo this weekend with my dad and it needs to be close I live in eagle mtn my dad said he would toke me to cabelas but is there cheep one there that works well ? Thanks - hunter
[signature]
Being wal-mart I don't think they have the biggest selection of fly fishing gear, from what Ive seen most of there stuff is Cortland. Cortland makes pinch on foam indicator similar to the Palsa foam indicators. While I've never used the Cortland Brand they cant be that much different than the Palsa brand and the Palsa's work well.

If you not familiar with the Palsa's there flat foam sticker thats in a figure 8 shape. You put your line in the center of the figure 8 and fold the foam in half and it creates a foam circle that floats.

If they dont have the foam indicators as mention before you can alway use the cheapest of them all the old school poly yarn indicators.

If you make it to Cabelas you cant beat the thingamobobbers in the 1/2 or 1/4 inch sizes or they use to have a similar indicator called insta-set indicator same as the thinggamabobber only its made from foam and its a little cheaper in price.
[signature]
A Dry makes a killer indicator and you are going to see some hatches.
If you fish streamers, you won't need an indicator.

My vote would be the Thingamabobbers, but I have used the really small red and white ones.
[signature]
I am only 14 and I don't to how to set up a thing abobber and everyone says to use drys at strike indecators but how do u Ty 2 flys on and can use Ty 2 nimphs on at once? I am a beginner
Thanks hunter
[signature]
you definatly can tie a dropper under a stimulator to use as an indicator, just tie you dropper onto the bend in the hook with about16 inches of tippet or dpending on how deep or shallow you want it,
also you can do that with nymphs, i usually like to fish a bigger bug like a stonefly or a big prince or pheasent tail first and then trail something smaller like a sow bug or scud and then just use #8 splitshots to the desired wieght above all those bugs. but if im using an indicator which sometimes i dont cause ive been trying to detect strikes nymphing lately by watching my line on drifts, i would use a stimulator of any kind, maybe a hopper now cause theres always the cahnce to hook up on that cuase no such luck with a regular indicator.
[signature]
Google or youtube thingamabobber there little round plastic bubbles with a eyelet on top. all you do is loop your leader in half feed it through the eyelet and loop the slack line around the thingamabobber.

By law you can only use 2 to 3 hooks depending on the body of water. The LP is two hooks, eg: 2 bait hooks, 2 flies or two trebles.

So you wouldn't be able to use a Dry and 2 Nymphs. Just one dry and one nymph.

If your nymphing need a strike indicator in a hurray really all you need is something light, brightly colored and floats. In the past We used to use water balloons, even styrofoam from a a cooler.

or if you really in a pinch and break the hook off a big dry like a hopper, or damsel there no law saying what your strike indicator looks like just the number of hooks.
[signature]
Go to YOUTUBE thats where I learned almost everything about fly fishing when i first started, and if you can try to get with someone who knows a little about how to fly fish and that will help you out a ton, Im sure someone on here would love to show you a thing or two lots of really great guys here!
[signature]
Curious as to where in Utah you can use three hooks?

I have always thought only two for Utah. Thing is, this is two Flies or lure. But that one fly or lure can have multi hooks. Like a Fly with a stinger is one fly, a Rapala with 4 hooks is one lure.
[signature]
Lake Powell & Flaming Gorge

No line may have more than 3 baited hooks
or more than 3 lures

Page 24 for FG & the top of page 27 for Lake Powell of the 2012 DWR guidebook

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2012...ishing.pdf
[signature]
I thought it must be those two because they are connected to other states. No Bear Lake? Thanks Sin.
[signature]
I hear ya its kinda confusing, up until this year I thought the same 2 hooks state wide but a trip to powell over the summer schooled me. What really confuses me is it says says 3 lures .. sooo most stick baits like rapalas have 2 trebles on them so does that mean a total of 6 trebles ? Eeek [pirate]

What about Umbrella rigs or Alabama rigs ....
[signature]
You can do the Umbrella, but only two lures can have hooks. Two Lures or Flies. Each Lure or Fly can consist of multi hooks. Bait fishing is pretty cut and dry[Wink]

Add to that, the Rapala with say "5" hooks and those 5 are trebble...that is like 15 points in one LURE.
I have some flies that have three hooks (single hooks, not a treble)
[signature]
Cheapest strike indicator is none. I haven't used one on moving water for almost a decade. I do get the bobbers out for stillwater once in a while[laugh]. Give it a try sometime. Just don't use a steelhead rod and wonder why you can't detect strikes.
[signature]
I put a red tip with thread on my Leaders. That makes a wonderful strike indicator. Fishing wets you don't need the foam or yarn or putty. It is just keeping the line somewhat tight.
Using an over sized dry is basically using an indicator though. It does not match anything (as in the Chernobyl Ant) But if a hook is involved it is okay[Wink]
Heck I have had fish hit my indicators before to the point I thought of attaching a hook and calling my "special" dry[laugh]

Too much emphasis on NOT using an indicator, I think. It is still fly fishing, plus in a two lure state, if the fish are "not" taking anything off the surface, two nymphs are the ticket. But you still want to suspend them as you would with the Hopper dropper....Bingo, the indicator is the answer[cool]

Whatever works, go for it.

I fished some water I would have really welcomed your company River Dog. It was a blast.
[signature]
isent there a change in the works to allow three hooks on one line state wide?
[signature]
Just an simple option to consider for someone new to fly fishing- not an emphasis. I fish without an indicator on moving water because I catch more fish without one with my style of fishing. Certainly not for everyone and every style of fly fishing. No one should be intimidated that it's too hard to detect strikes or get a nymph where you want it in the water column without an indicator to try it.
[signature]
Something about that is stirring. That will be nice, or a big mess...LOL
We will be able to "wash line" fish! Do it in Idaho and it is fun.
[signature]
I agree River Dog. No intimidation. not sure why one would feel that.
I am just saying, there is no difference between a small indicator and an over sized dry, other than one has a hook.
They are indicators for fish strikes, BUT, they also aid in suspending that nymph to and keep it in the strike zone, just like a dry will aid.

When I take new comers out, you bet I have them rigged with a Provo Bouncer and a Thingamabobber. Flippin' and strippin' Works great.
After they get that down, many will remove the indicator.
Not JUST and indicator, but a Suspender.

Many people fish your style and may add indicators at certain times.

If it works, why not? Some thing big foam flies are wrong too, but if it works...where are these rules?

Not directed at you River Dog, you are very good at what you do, no question about that.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]You can do the Umbrella, but only two lures can have hooks. Two Lures or Flies. Each Lure or Fly can consist of multi hooks. Bait fishing is pretty cut and dry[Wink]

Add to that, the Rapala with say "5" hooks and those 5 are trebble...that is like 15 points in one LURE.
I have some flies that have three hooks (single hooks, not a treble)[/quote]

I always get fuzzy on this one. So a rapala type stick bait that has three treble hooks is considered a single "hook", same as a fly with a stinger.
But an umbrella rig - only two branchs (if you will) can have hooks? You can have more branches, but only carry spinners, or hookless attractors (been meaning to dabble into that - Crappie Jigging!)
OR could you say the Umbrella rig itself was like a fly with a stinger, and therefore you could have TWO umbrella rigs of multi hooks out at a time? (uh, . . . yeah/no!)[crazy]

So where is the line drawn? I'd don't know if they're even legal in Utah - but they sell 'em - Sabiki rigs - made with real fish skin, and they come in a stringer of like 6 teensy hooks on one rig. So does it still count as one? (I've nipped off a pair, and they've done well. Doubles even... in Idaho)

LB - The youtube suggestion is great. SO many "how to" vids out there. Learned a lot about fly-tying... also you might hit Amazon - and look up some basic books about fly fishing. They'll go through the gear, the knots, the flies, the waters, and of course - the fish. I'd picked up a few, and when I started fiddling with tying - I got some books on flies, so I had examples to draw from.

Used books are awesome. Spend more shipping the suckers... if you want titles - I can share what I got. Sure others might have better..
[quote CoyoteSpinner]

I always get fuzzy on this one. So a rapala type stick bait that has three treble hooks is considered a single "hook", same as a fly with a stinger.
But an umbrella rig - only two branchs (if you will) can have hooks? You can have more branches, but only carry spinners, or hookless attractors (been meaning to dabble into that - Crappie Jigging!)
OR could you say the Umbrella rig itself was like a fly with a stinger, and therefore you could have TWO umbrella rigs of multi hooks out at a time? (uh, . . . yeah/no!)[crazy]

So where is the line drawn? I'd don't know if they're even legal in Utah - but they sell 'em - Sabiki rigs - made with real fish skin, and they come in a stringer of like 6 teensy hooks on one rig. So does it still count as one? (I've nipped off a pair, and they've done well. Doubles even... in Idaho)

LB - The youtube suggestion is great. SO many "how to" vids out there. Learned a lot about fly-tying... also you might hit Amazon - and look up some basic books about fly fishing. They'll go through the gear, the knots, the flies, the waters, and of course - the fish. I'd picked up a few, and when I started fiddling with tying - I got some books on flies, so I had examples to draw from.

Used books are awesome. Spend more shipping the suckers... if you want titles - I can share what I got. Sure others might have better..[/quote]

Single "LURE" a single hook is a single hook meaning not multi, meaning not treble [Wink]

I have no idea on the umbrella other than what I have read. You can have two lures with hook/hooks and the other just blades.
[signature]