Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Sunday
Got there at 10am. Still nice and cold but what a beautiful day just to be out. Searched for walleye and couldn't find any...to bite at least. Launched at Lincoln Beach and headed for the rock shelves to the party of 6 other boats. Didn't see much action from them or the guys wading. I moved around and got 9 perfect size catfish 20" - 29" range. A 37" carp decided it wanted to play and become cat bait. Sorry no pics this time.
I think the walleye may be a little late this fall, but then again what do I know! I just like to be on the water with a brewski having a good time!
[signature]
37" carp?

The C&R state record is just under 36", so if you aren't just guesstimating, then you could have had your name in "The Good Book". Bummer.
[signature]
Yep 35 3/4 is the C&R record caught by me this spring!
[signature]
I take it wasn't anything close to the 32 lb overall state record. You did the right thing in my book by using it for bait and not worrying about c&r records with an introduced rough fish. I know one less carp in Utah Lake out of the millions doesn't make much difference but I can't see ever releasing one alive for any purpose in this state.
[signature]
Well I taped the carp at 36.8". There is no lie there. As far as record breaker...I didn't even think about it. I've seen bigger ones jump and swim as I trolled by. I would have guess the record was much bigger. Way to go utcatman, that is cool that you have the record. Since I didn't take a cell pic for proof I guess it will be another big fish tale. Oh well, I know how big it was! Planted in my conscience is carp = trash, yes some will say I'm wrong, but all I can think of was the fun tugs and how much cat bait I can get from that damn thing! They were everywhere around Bird Island. You can bet I'll remember the record now so that next time I head out there, probably next year, I may get lucky again. Thanks for the input guys.
[signature]
I had lots of fun bowhunting for carp on Bird Island this summer. In fact, it was about the most fun I've had fishing in a long time. It was harder than I expected, but when I finally connected it was a dream come true. While stalking the wily carp through the warm shallows, I felt like a combination of my three childhood heroes--Robin Hood, Daniel Boone, and Tarzan. (See photo)

Are the carp still there for the shooting? Maybe I'll go again. I thought that with the temperatures cooling off they might head for deeper water.

By the way, my wife thinks that Bird Island is some sort of protected sanctuary and that I shouldn't get out of the boat to wade in the shallow water around the island. It does scare up huge flocks of white birds, but I don't think it's against regulations. Does anybody know?
[signature]
Bird Island is not protected. In high water years the only thing that pokes out of the water is the brush on top of the island.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.